Chapter 9

Author's note: this is a big chapter for the girls!

X X X

Thursday 5th of October

Brittany groaned because her back felt sore. "I must have slept funny." She thought to herself. She rolled over and expected to be wrapped in Santana's arms but instead she fell on the floor with a thud.

"Ouch!" Brittany groaned. She opened her eyes and took a confused look around the apartment. She wasn't in their bed. She was in the living room. Then she remembered she slept on the couch because she was in a fight with Santana. Her mood drastically dropped at the memories of the day before.

Brittany stood up, folded the blanket and put it on the back of the couch. She walked to the bedroom where the bed was made. The room was empty - Santana wasn't home. Brittany went into the bathroom and turned on the shower. As she took off her clothes she looked in the mirror and saw a red mark on her forehead. At a closer look she saw it was red lipstick, meaning Santana couldn't resist giving her a goodbye kiss. Brittany smiled as she wiped the mark off her face.

She climbed in the shower and allowed the hot water to run over her body and ease the tension. Once she felt suitably relaxed, she stepped out and wrapped herself in a towel. She quickly changed into her clothes and went to the kitchen.

She poured herself a bowl of cereal and took a seat at the breakfast bar to eat it. Halfway through her bowl, Santana entered the apartment with bags of shopping in her hands. She walked straight to the kitchen and put the groceries away. Neither girl even acknowledged the other was there. The frosty silence was painful for them both.

After Santana put away all the groceries, she turned on her heel and walked to the living room. She took a seat on the couch and watched TV.

Brittany took a deep breath and stood up. She put her bowl in the sink and joined Santana on the couch. She took the remote from the brunette and turned off the TV. She placed the remote on the coffee table. Santana turned around and faced the blonde.

"I'm sorry." Both girls said at the same time and for the first time in almost 24 hours, they smiled at each other.

"Let me go first." Brittany said. She took Santana's hands and held them in her own. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be sneaking out to spend time with Quinn. Yesterday was important for us both and I should have prioritised you over Quinn. But it hurt when you accused me of cheating. There was no reason for you to think that." Blue eyes locked with brown ones. "I promise I'm not cheating on you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me and I would never jeopardise that. I'm sorry that I have lied to you about where I'm going but I just can't tell you." Brittany finished.

"I'm sorry too. I had no right to jump to conclusions. You've never given me any reason to doubt you and I let my own insecurities get the best of me and my judgment. I don't like that you've been lying to me but if you really don't want to tell me, I need to respect that." Santana replied.

"What insecurities?" Brittany asked.

"Before I met you I thought I'd live a mediocre life. I'd probably get a job in Lima as a waitress or bartender and it would be enough to pay my bills but I wouldn't feel challenged. I thought I'd have a series of one night stands with girls that never left me emotionally satisfied. And that seemed like a good life to live. Then I met you and began questioning my future. I saw that I could have all this love from someone and give an equal amount of love back to them. I began believing in myself and starting thinking I could have a career doing something I love. And I got all that. That's what I still find hard to believe, I got the job and the girl and I'm so happy. I feel like one day you'll wake and realise you can do better than me and you'll leave." Santana said. The last part she said softly. She had never spoken those words, although she'd thought them for years.