29: Time never heals and I'm nothing but proof of that

2/8

"I know life well enough to know you can't count on things staying around or standing still, no matter how much you want them to. You can't stop people from dying. You can't stop them from going away. You can't stop yourself from going away either. I know myself well enough to know that no one else can keep you awake or keep you from sleeping." - All the Bright Places; Jennifer Niven

-

Chaeyoung taps her foot impatiently, it was halfway through the day and still no sign of Lisa.

It didn't look like Jisoo or Jennie knew what was wrong either. Chaeyoung spins a pen around her fingers as she loses herself in thought. "Chaeyoung, number three please." 

Her eyes widen, she hadn't solved any of the problems. She clears her throat as she looks down at her notebook. It was absolutely blank. She didn't know what she expected - she knew she didn't answer.

"You can go over to the board there and write your answer." Her math teacher chimes in. Chaeyoung gnaws on her tongue quietly as she gets up.

She clears her throat as she grabs one of the markers. Trigonometric functions - she got this . . . probably. "Jisoo, while she's finishing that could you please solve number four." Her teacher calls and for once Chaeyoung feels blessed to be put in the advanced classes.

Jisoo is quick to move forward as she grabs the blue marker from the desk. "Psst," Chaeyoung nudges and Jisoo smiles softly. "It's three squareroot twelve." She mutters and Chaeyoung winks at her.

Jisoo solves her question with ease and jolts the answer down as Chaeyoung finishes up getting the solution from the given answer. She sighs softly as she mutters a 'thanks' before walking back to her seat. Shortly after, Jisoo returns to her desk. 

She rubs her eyes tiredly. Chaeyoung yawns as she slowly cracks her knuckles. I guess I'm not getting a 16th-day flower. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

She clicks her tongue as she leans onto her hand. Her eyes unfocus as she sighs quietly.
She blinks back and forth, feeling herself begin to drift into sleep.

Ring . . .

Chaeyoung almost jumps out of her seat as she hears the sharp ringing of a phone cut through the classroom. "Alright, who owns that phone?"

Chaeyoung sighs. Was it really that hard to keep your phone on silent? She crosses her arms, annoyed at her disrupted nap.

Her eyes widen - "Holy shit," She curses under her breath. "Miss Park."

She clenches her teeth together as she panickedly turns off the call. "Wait, I can explain!" She bolts out of her seat.

Her teacher holds a marker in her hand as she gestures for her to do so.

"My phone is on silent, the only time it rings is when my emergency contact is called." She mutters quietly. "And why'd you turn it off so quickly?" Her teacher doesn't buy it.

"I panicked." She says exasperatedly. She bites her lip, wondering what the call was. "You'll have detention." Her teacher says adamantly.

Chaeyoung clenches her jaw. She sighs as her hand trembles at the thought of something horrible happening.

"For what? We don't even know what the hell the call is? I'm my mom's only emergency contact, what if she got into an accident? You're not even going to bother to listen or let me find out who called and why--" She cuts herself off. She's never talked back to a teacher before, even if it was her math teacher who didn't particularly like her.