Last Chapter

I'm sitting on the beach near the lake, eating a burnt cheesebun and looking at my daughter jumping up and down on the shore.

"Be careful sweetie, don't get your dress wet!" I call her, but she doesn't listen. I smile, she has Peeta's artist genes, when it comes to nature, she just takes in every detail, every beautiful thing and just enjoys it.

I look next to me to see Peeta holding our toddler son, tickling him, he is laughing with this cute little baby voice, which just melts your heart and makes you want to have more babies. Maybe in the future, who knows.

I take another bite of my burnt cheesebun and smile at the memory of last night, when Peeta managed to burn the cheesebuns because he was too distracted pretending to be a knight for our daughter. He even had a little wood sword and our kid couldn't get enough of it.

Our kids, our marriage, our house, our District, our lives... Even though today everything is picture perfect, sometimes I still can't believe it's all true.

Me and Peeta decided to try therapy when I was pregnant with our first child, apparently we both suffer from PTSD but we are strong and therapy is going great.

After all those years, I realized that you should never give up. Life is full of unexpected things, surprises and mysteries. Just because things are going bad for the moment, doesn't mean it will always be like that. All you need to do is keep fighting, stay true to yourself and just believe that good things will come.

When I look back at my life, it started as a disaster, but right now, right in this moment I feel pure joy and happiness.

I found this old phrase scattered on the shredded piece of paper in the basement "Home is not a place, it's a person," and I must say I'm lucky to find my home, my person - Peeta Mellark.

People always say that there are two types of men: Men who are good husbands and men who are good dads. But I don't believe it, cause I see my amazing husband being an amazing dad and I feel kind of proud and blessed.

"Happy endings are for children" somebody once told me on the market, back in the dark days, and I almost believed it.

But let me tell you, happy endings exist, and they are for everyone. I didn't think I could get one to be honest, but I did. I don't know what future holds, but as long as I'm with the person I love and with my kids, I have the happy ending.

"Everything is fine" Peeta whispers in my ear everytime he sees me going deep into the thoughts. It's like so simple, but so powerful words. It helps me, it heals me, I'm here, in this moment, enjoying the life.

And right now, he does the same, whispers these little words onto my ear as our baby boy is wiggling in his arms.

"Everything is fine" I tell him back and kiss his sweet lips. Then I look at our son who smiles as big as humanly possible.

Peeta sits next to me and calls our daughter. She runs and sits between me and Peeta.

There it is. The wave of calmness, of happiness, of pure euphoria. This is it. This is my happy ending.

The only thing that lacks for it to be perfect, is that I don't have my sister with me. But I will never forget her. I won't let anyone forget her. That's when my daughter calls me.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Primrose?" I caress her cheeck.

"Can me and daddy play princess and the knight tonight?"

"Of course sweetie, but as long as daddy won't burn more cheesebuns" I say and smile at Peeta. He just chuckles and leans in to kiss me.

"I promise I won't."

"Then let's go!" She jumps up and drags Peeta with her, towards our house. Then she stops and turns around.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Can our neighbors join us?"

"Yes of course, I'll ask Haymitch and Effie if they are free so their kids can join us too."

Peeta grabs my hand and we all start walking towards our home. Me, my husband and our kids...

---------------------------------------
Thank you for everything, I hope you enjoyed the last chapter! Thanks again for being there and for being the best!

Happy 2020, I wish you everything the best!

Goodbye!