Chapter 74. Hope

"Thank you so much." I gave a small bow to Andrews as I peeked through the car window.

"No, you've been a great help." His lips curved into a small smile, "It's thanks to you that everyone will finally know the real story." He added, "I better go now."

"Alright, thanks again." I nodded.

I watched as Detective Andrews' car sped off into the distance. As soon as he was out of sight, I glanced around me before running to my house.

I shut the front door and headed for the back. I went out and didn't waste any time, I ran, heading to the warehouse. It was unfortunate that I didn't have anything to use to get there sooner. I can't possibly bring my car either, it's too noticeable. Plus, the road is too bumpy.

My head is pounding right now . . .

I touched the back of my head and noticed that it didn't hurt as much as before, but still, I have a massive headache. It's a little difficult to run because it feels like the ground was moving. But I have to get there.

It's been hours since Jeff and I were supposed to meet each other, his condition was horrible . . . I know that he's tough, he can handle a huge amount of blood loss but this time, it was too much . . .

I ran breathlessly through the tall grasses, nearly tripping here and there, but I didn't stop no matter how tired I was.

After half an hour of relentless running, I eventually reached the warehouse, it was just a few steps away from me.

I slowed my pace to catch my breath, my knees were giving in already. I ended up falling to the ground. My breathing was labored, my vision was starting to blur and my whole body felt weak.

With shaking legs, I stood up and walked inside the abandoned warehouse, only to find it empty.

"Jeff . . ?" I called out as I panted, "Jeff!" I said in a much louder tone. I searched around the building's unoccupied rooms and behind the cardboard boxes in tears and desperation.

Just as I was running out of hope, I caught a glimpse of a familiar figure hiding behind an old shelf.

I didn't think about it, I made my way towards Jeff and saw him slouched against the wall with his head down, "Jeff!" I spoke as I tried to wake him, "Jeff, wake up!" Tears began rolling down the side of my face as I gained no response.

I shook him violently and lightly hit him, "Wake up, wake up!" I shouted between sobs, "Please, wake up . . ." I cried harder when Jeff didn't even move nor give me any sign at all, "Please, please!" I begged.

I hugged him and buried my face in his chest, the strong smell of blood filling my lungs. I sobbed harder when I saw Jeff's mouth, the blood trailed down to his neck, soaking his black shirt.

Amidst my cries, I felt a faint beat. My breath got caught in my throat as I listened.

His heart is still beating.

It didn't sound good at all, the beats were slow and irregular. It scared me that it might really stop.

I immediately kneeled beside him and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. With all that's left of my strength, I heave and stood up, supporting Jeff in the process.

I only then realized the bloody striped scarf wrapped tightly around Jeff's wounded arm, from the looks of it, the scarf helped stop his wound from bleeding, the wound which I had sewn previously.

Liu's scarf . . .

Tears threatened to fall again as I realized that Liu still cares. Staring at the black and white scarf, it gave me hope that everything will be alright once again.