She closed her eyes. Her thoughts drifted to Shivaay. Till now, he was a mere attraction to her. He was someone who charmed her by his good looks. Surely, he was a hotshot, but to maintain the relationship they were soon to be bound into, she needed love, not attraction.

She grabbed the remote and switched on the TV. The news media was busy covering the deal and engagement soon to happen between the Oberois and the Kabeers. She sighed and switched off the TV.

***

Half an hour later, her Dad, Harsh came inside. She greeted him and patted a place on her bed for him to sit. He sat down.

"Are you sure about this Annika?" he asked.

"Come on, Dad, you were the one who asked me for this," she complained.

Harsh nodded his head, "I know, but there is no pressure. It's your decision. If you think you are ready for marriage and Shivaay, only then you should marry."

Annika thought for a second. She knew she was not ready. But this was what her father wanted. And like the best person he was, he yet asked for her consent.

"It's fine, Dad, I am ready," she assured herself more than Harsh.

Taking a deep breath, she faked a smile and got up from her bed to get ready.

"Now it's almost time. Go, get ready. Or else we will be running late." she rushed through her speech in order to hide her true emotions.

Harsh nodded and left her. Once Annika closed the door behind him, he closed his eyes as a lone tear escaped from the left one. He only wished he didn't have to do this. He was guilty. One moment, he wanted Annika to marry. The other moment, he asked for her consent. He was equally confused about all this.

Yet he knew, all this would be in Annika's favor.

***

Annika got ready in a beautiful olive green lehenga with matching choli and a set of crystal jewelry. Her makeup was light as she liked. With the designer tiara on her head, she looked no less than an angel.

At seven, Harsh and Annika reached the Oberoi Mansion. All the media, famous business personalities and some ministers were in attendance. Annika frowned when she saw all his relatives attending the engagement. For a moment, she wished her relatives were also with her. She looked at her Dad and smiled. He loved her mother so much. Despite her death, he still did not talk to those who could not accept Annika's mother back then.

Annika was then adamant on her decision. She was doing this for him. He did so much for her and her mother, now was the time to be an obedient daughter, she thought.

Shivaay came to greet them. He was wearing an olive green sherwani with cream pajamas. Annika's heart fluttered again. Something changed inside her every time she saw him. She shifted her gaze away from Shivaay, having no idea where this attraction might take her.

"Come, I will introduce you to my family," Shivaay offered.

Annika went blank. Her nervousness started peeping in. How might the Oberoi family react, she thought.

Her eyes met Shivaay's who smiled at her. She found it reassuring.

Shivaay and Annika walked close together as they reached the family. Shivaay was about to place his hand on her waist, but he chose otherwise and held her left hand. She squirmed due to his touch. She wasn't uncomfortable, but it sure felt weird as invisible butterflies fluttered in her stomach.