42. Eggs

"What are you making today?" The man was Gray.

"Omelettes with ham." Sato replied.

"Oh. Looking at how many eggs you have used, the omelettes must not have come out like you wanted."

"Yeah."

"Let me help you with this." Gray stepped up as he adjusted the heat to medium low. Adding the butter, he let it melt slightly on the pan. "The key to making a good omelette is to not overcook it. It is better if only the outside is more firm, while the inside is still slightly runny."

Pouring in the egg, Gray let it set for a few seconds before stirring the egg slightly to prevent it from curdling up. This also allowed for the uncooked egg at the top to be cooked too. When the layer of egg at the bottom is becoming more solid, Gray added in the sliced ham bit as he heated it over the egg. The finishing touches is done as he jacks the heat up to help make it easier to fold the egg together.

The finish omelette came out looking yellow and unburnt on the outside. Gray sprinkled some pepper above with fresh herbs. Unlike the outside, the inside of the egg flowed out just as Gray cuts it in half. The mixture of the ham and slightly scrambled eggs gave off a very appealing aroma.

"It looked just like the eggs in my dreams." Sato stared blankly at the eggs.

"You seen this omelette in your dream?" Gray looked at Sato expectingly.

"Yes. This exact one." Sato looked at Gray, shocked. "How did you read my mind? Are you a psychic?"

That comment made Gray literally topple on the ground. He was flabbergasted at how ignorant this young man was. This egg was clearly made exactly the same as I was the one who made it for you before! Anyways, it seems like my words from yesterday reminded him of his past.

"That's right I read your mind." Gray rubbed his head. He decided to just not tell Sato since there were more opportunities in the future. "Now try out the eggs that I made."

"Okay." Sato gently cut a bit of the egg and placed it in his mouth. The warm flowy eggs ran down his throat and into his tummy. The simple seasoning with salt and pepper, helped bring out the natural taste of the eggs. The ham complemented the taste too, giving it the additional saltiness. "Its what I think the eggs in my dreams would taste like."

"I am sure it did." Gray smiled warmly as he watched the young man eat away. He then went ahead to make his own eggs. This time, he didnt put as much effort into cooking his. The two finished up their meal at the tabletop in the kitchen.

"So what are we doing today?" Sato was curious ever since yesterday.

"Rest for an hour, before changing into your exercise gear. I will take you somewhere then." Gray didn't give much away except that it was physical.

Sato went ahead to put on a clean grey dry-fit shirt and running shorts. He predicts that they were going to do some hiking. Seeing Gray after an hour, not in his exercise gear, made him rather confused. Why was I in one while he isn't?

"Let's go." Gray said. Taking his Gale X, they drove even further out into the suburbs. Eventually, they arrived at the base of a mountain. The mountain was covered in evergreen trees, making the environment serene and calming. The only sounds present was wind rustling the trees and birds chirping in the morning.

"We are hiking?" Sato asked.

"No." Gray denied. "You are hiking."

"Huh?" Sato was confused. "Are you leaving me here?"

"Yes I am." Gray opened the door, making Sato get off his car. "I shall wait for you at the end of this mountain road. If you do not make it, you will be abandoned here."

Sato was rather speechless. I did not bring my phone and wallet. No cars will even pass by this area. If I do not make it up there, is Gray really planning to let me die here?

Sato watched as the car left him and drove up the mountain road. The road didnt have a proper lane. It was made out gravel and not tar. Walking on this would be rather tiring and painful, thought Sato. Let's take the road less taken then.

Sato decided to walk through the coniferous trees. The path may be steeper, yet it would allow Sato reach to the end of faster.

Moving through the winding trees that stretched on for miles, Sato didn't feel as tired as he thought he would be. Even though it was autumn now, the trees blocked the cold wind from coming into contact with Sato. The peace and quiet in the forest allowed for Sato to have a peace of mind. He continued to climb upwards.

At the end of the road, there laid the foundations for a traditional house that was usually seen in country K. The whole house was made out of wood, with clay tiles layered on the roof. Within the house was hardwood flooring with a traditional floor heating system for the winter. The windows were made out of traditional paper created from the bark of mulberry trees. It keeps the room warm and allows for some sunlight to come through.

Within the stone gated compound, laid a nice green garden with a small lake in the centre. The whole garden flowed with the natural surrounding, allowing for the whole compound to blend into nature. A young man was seen walking around the grass patch, looking rather worried. His hands behind his back as he looked at the ground listlessly.

"Relax, Mr. Gray." An old and raspy voice spoke out from the traditional house. He sat by the wooden deck as he drank his warm tea slowly. "If he is as you say he is, the young man will make it here."

"But..." Gray couldn't speak out. Today, the request for Sato to hike up the mountain was decided by the old man sitting at the deck area. He was Gray's martial arts teacher, the last descendent of the founder of Taekwondo, Choi Byung Hoon.