123: Visiting Sato's Parents 2

Knock, knock, knock.

For the subsequent seconds after Sato knocked the door, time slowed down significantly. Sato's mind was racing at record speed. Thoughts and emotions were basically a blur.

Run? Should I run? I still have time right now, maybe I really should run away...

No no. Stay, just stay. It's not that bad. They are your parents after all. They cared for you throughout your childhood.

But.. What if? What if it was all the same and nothing had change? At that point, could I bear to go through such an experience again?

Then again, if I do leave now, I will just be escaping from my problems once again.

Forgiveness. Anyone should be given a second chance if they were willing to reflect on their mistakes. So that leaves us with only one option. And that is...

"To stay strong and push through." Sato mouthed out the words as he stared straight at the house door that slowly opened up. The natural light from the bright sun shone into Sato's eye. A silhouette of a lady with long hair appeared in front of Sato. The identity of the lady was almost instantly revealed to Sato, but Sato still squinted to get a better look.

"Sato?" The lady had a surprised tone in her voice when she spoke.

"Hi mother." Sato replied awkwardly. His hand was fidgeting amongst itself. In the end, he decided to just stand straight.

Sato's mother, Geraldine woke up from her stupor and said back to her son. "Well don't just stand outside, come on in."

Geraldine led her son into the house that he had stayed in for his whole life prior to leaving. Both happy and sad memories were present in every inch and corner of this tiny unit. Sato walked around slowly, examining every part of his old home. It had been far too long since he came home.

The old table that they used back in the day was still there. It had now been ridden with scars that came about from Sato's father's drunken tantrums. The old wooden chairs had been replaced with the chairs with built in cushions. Mahiro had thrown those and broken it before too. Most of the furnitures that were too heavy to carry were all still intact and present in the house. Seeing that the house was no longer as messy as the past, it made Sato's heart warm up slightly. Maybe father did get rid of his drinking habits entirely.

"Wher.. Where's father?" Sato stuttured. Ever since he stepped into the house, his feelings and emotions were let loose. He could speak properly now.

"He went to the convenience store to buy some bread." Geraldine replied quickly, she didn't want to keep Sato waiting. "He should be coming home soon as he left a while ago."

"Oh.."

Silent pervaded the room instantly. Sato didn't exactly know how to carry on, neither did his mother. They haven't seen each other except during their occasional video calls. Now, being stuck in a small room together, it made things even more uncomfortable.

"So.. Did father really.. Quit drinking?" Sato hesitated before finishing his question.

" Your father, he.." As Geraldine was about to answer Sato's question, the door to the house open once again. In the past, when Sato was young, when he heard the keys chiming, he would run and welcome his father. Now, Sato's heart was the only thing he could hear. The nervous thumping went Badump, Badump.

The older looking man had significantly more grey hair than the past. It looked like he had aged a whole lot since the last time Sato had seen him in person. The video call on Sato's birthday had already given a vague impression of Mahiro. The meeting today further confirmed that his father had aged significantly over the past few years.

Mahiro looked at the familiar figure that stood by the balcony window. His eyes faltered, unable to believe what he was seeing. He stumbled on his words.

"Sa.. Sato? Is.. Is that re..really you?"

Sato didn't say anything back, except standing there unmovingly. He was frozen in place. Mahiro approached carefully as if he was scared that he would frighten his son away. He stopped when he was 5 metres from Sato, before continuing.

"I.. I have been reflecting. Reflecting on my past mistakes during the time that you had left this home. There were many regrets that went through my head everyday. Countless regrets. And many of them, had to do with you."

Mahiro's eyes were getting visibly redder. On closer inspection, you could tell that there were tears forming in them.

"Ever since you left, I had decided to quit drinking. From that day on, I tried my best. I tried my very best to kick that devilish habit of mine! It was rough at first and I have it all to thank your mother for following me through this ordeal. Even though I had physically abused her before, she still stuck with me throughout this journey. If it weren't for her, I may have given up along the way. Maybe, I would have ended my life, wallowing in my past mistakes."

Mahiro held onto Geraldine's rough hands as he stared adoringly into her eyes. Tears started to flow down his face and so did Sato. His father's words had tapped into the deepest parts of his heart and soul. Like a godly harp that strummed on the heartstrings of humans, Mahiro's words resonated in him.

"I know I have wronged you many times in the past. Countless times, you have seen me throw tantrums and express my rage out vehemontly. It must have scarred you deeply, to which I am forever sorry about it! I am sorry for everything that I had caused as a result of alcoholism! I am sorry for breaking up this family! I am sorry for not being a good father to you! "

"Stop! Just stop!" Sato interjected Mahiro's apology. He couldn't take it anymore. Tears were rolling down his face like a waterfall. He couldn't see what was in front of him, except for two familiar figures. His emotions were all over the place. He was basically sobbing at this point.

"I.." Mahiro didn't know how to follow up on this. He held onto his wife's hand tightly as he waited and watched his son cry from a distance.

The gap of five meters had never felt so far and distant for the two individuals.