ten

tw: none

previously:

The caller I.D. was Valerie Torres-Rosario, the mother of the kids he took care of during the school year.

He picked it up, swallowing down the uneasy feeling in his gut that he always had when he answer the phone.

"Hello?" Virgil asked, mentally cursing himself.

"Hi, kiddo." Virgil liked Valerie purely because she reminded him of Patton. She was very hardworking and sweet. She had one of the friendliest smiles, second only to Patton himself. "I was just calling to tell you that, oh quit it Joan, I'm speaking to Virgil."

/ - \

"Sorry, kiddo. Joan got excited, you know how he is." Virgil could practically hear the woman's smile. "Anyways, I called to inform you that I am going to be able to work from home now, so I will be able to be at home full time. This, of course, means your services will not be needed full time anymore."

Virgil let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"Wonderful. Thank you for telling me and I'm glad you've been given this opportunity because the kids are truly amazing. I have something that I've made for them over summer, may I stop by and drop it off when I get back to Gainesville?"

"Of course, kiddo. The kids will enjoy seeing you again. Just shoot me a text when you're free to come by." She seemed extra cheery

"Alright, will do." Virgil had a small smile on his face. He was excited to show the kids New York in a scrapbook.

"Alright, kiddo. Bye bye now!"

"Bye." Virgil replied.

Virgil heard a kid's voice screaming 'bye Virge!' before there was a click and the line went dead.

This meant he probably wouldn't have to go back next week.

Roman, who had been in the kitchen cooking, popped his head into the living room.

"Who was that?" He asked curiously.

Virgil snickered.

"Is someone jealous?" Virgil teased.

"Yes." Roman deadpanned.

"It was Valerie, the mother of the kids I nanny." Virgil smiled. "She said she's going to be working from home for now on, so I won't be needed as much." Virgil sighed. "So basically, I have to find a new job now."

"Oh?" Roman asked. "You seem oddly okay with that."

"Yeah, I guess I am." Virgil paused. "Those kids deserve the world and having their mother around will definitely make them happier than anything I could ever do for them." He voice was low and shaky. He was ready to cry. He loved the kids.

"Ah, I see." Roman approached Virgil, sitting next to the man and opening his arms.

Virgil scooted closer, letting himself melt into Roman's hug.

"It'll be alright, I'll help you."

"Thanks, Ro." Virgil smiled, though it was hidden from Roman. He appreciated the man.

// an

two. more. chapters.
two. more. and. that's. it. for. this. au.

of course I have other things planned, but ending this, my first successful story series. it's tough. i appreciate each and every one of you guys for being here and supporting me in my writing endeavors and i look forward to what the future holds for us.