three

tw: none

previously:

"Thanks for taking care of him, Remy." Logan thanked the bartender. It was Virgil he was irritated with.

"Of course, hon. Tell him to text me later." Remy blew a kiss in Logan's direction. Virgil reached his hand up as if to catch the air-kiss.

"Come on, Virgil. Time to go home." Logan murmured.

"'Kay. Byeee Remyyy!" Virgil was smiling like a dork.

/ - \

Virgil's head was pounding and he let out a soft groan. He was in the main room, sitting in the most comfortable spot in the apartment. He heard shuffling from the other side of the room.

"Hey, Verge." It was Logan.

Logan normally didn't stay home from work. It was a constant cycle. They fought, Virgil got drunk, Logan picked him up, Virgil woke up alone the next morning.

Logan never stayed home for anything.

Virgil let out a hum as if to ask why he was here and not working.

"I called in sick." The man replied.

"But you're not." Virgil's voice, laced with annoyance and neglect, was rather quiet. "And even if you were you'd still be there."

"Verge, please. Don't be like that."

"Like what, Lo? What do you want me to be like, Lo? I'm not just your pretty little toy that you can leave and then just come back to and expect open arms from!" Virgil was whisper-yelling, nearly in tears. "I love you, Lo, but sometimes it's not enough."

Logan was only slightly surprised at Virgil's outburst. He knew that Virgil was right and that he would bring it up at some point, but it surprised Logan that he would bring it up now of all times.

"What's stopping you?" Logan's question was kind of sudden, but he had been meaning to ask it for a while.

"What the hell do you mean what's stopping me?" Virgil asked.

"What's stopping you from packing up and leaving. Or kicking me out. What is this magical force that's keeping us together, Virgil?"

Virgil stared at Logan in disbelief.

"I am, Logan. I'm stopping me." Virgil's reply was succinct.

Virgil waited for Logan to ask why. He was ready. He was ready to answer the question that he had been dreading for months.

Logan didn't say anything, only staring at Virgil.

Virgil felt as if Logan's gaze would bore holes in his face.

He finally snapped.

"I know you aren't going to say anything, but you want to know why. Is that right?" He paused, Logan nodded. "You've changed, Logan. I've changed too. Everyone is always changing. And I keep waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen so that you and I are changing for the better, but it never does." Virgil had broken, tears streaked his cheeks and his face was flushed.

"I-" Logan started, but Virgil cut him off.

"I'm not done." Virgil huffed. "I don't want to keep waiting, Lo. I thought I wanted you, but you aren't the same anymore!"

"Virgil." Logan said softly. His voice sounded broken, shaking as if he was about to cry.

He was.

Virgil hadn't seen Logan this close to crying in years. Logan never cried.

"I've got a headache. I'm going to go rest in the bedroom. I know you probably won't, but you're welcomed to join me." Virgil offered before getting up a leaving.

Logan didn't join him. He just sat at the coffee table in the main room and thought over what just happened.