Thirty

When the pair awoke the following day, rain was already falling heavily on the camp. With the inclement weather drenching the Dread Ring, any assault from either side had been halted, buying time to prepare for the mission tomorrow.

Zina sat up, Synika already handing her something to eat. She thanked her, pulling her armor back on and wiping her eyes. She yawned and stretched, brushing the top of the tent.

"How did your lesson with Celeste go?" Synika asked.

Zina looked confused. "How did you.."

"I could hear you two talking. The tent isn't that far away."

"What.. what all did you hear?" Zina asked, paling.

"Not a lot, I fell asleep last night, thankfully." Synika said, looking up. Her eyebrows knit as she noticed the whitened skin of the tiefling. "Are you.. Okay?"

"Ah.. can we talk about it later, please?"

The elf looked off, then looked back. "Sure, Zina. I'm uh, gonna go get some reports from Xuna. Take the time you need, okay?"

Synika leaned over, pecking Zina on the cheek and leaving the tent.

Zina put her face in her hands, peeking through her fingers to look at Salyrria.

"Oh, kitty, what am I gonna do? I've gotta say it sometime, don't I?"

Salyrria yawned softly, padding in a small circle and settling back down.

A few tents away, Xuna handed Synika a few sheets of paper containing sketches and information. The elf thanked her and stepped back into the tent, startling Zina, who was pacing back and forth, her hands on her temples.

"Synika! Uh, hi! How are you?"

The elf stared, idly setting the papers down onto the table.

"Zina."

"Yes?" She asked, doing her best to muster up a sweet voice.

"What's wrong? You're not yourself." Synika said, taking the girl's hand in her own.

"I.. I..." Zina trailed off, sighing deeply. "Celeste.. she told me about the journal."

"Oh.. that."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Zina cried. "That's my sister!"

Synika moved her tongue around in her mouth, struggling to find words.

"Zina, I..."

"No, Synika! There's no excuse this time! I trusted you to be honest with me!" Zina cried, letting go of the elf's hand and stepping away.

"I just didn't want to hurt you." Came the elf's sheepish reply.

Zina stared angrily at her with clenched fists. She knew the girl was being truthful, but the withholdance of the journal's details was hurtful.

"Don't ever pull this stunt on me again." Zina said, sitting down. Synika stood opposite.

"I'm sorry. With all that was going on, I didn't want to crush your hopes by saying your sister was.."

"What? Looney?" Zina asked harshly.

The elf looked down. "I was going to say unstable, but.. sure."

Zina shook her head, exasperated. "I can't believe you knew my family name and childhood all this time, and never bothered to tell me. Seriously, what is it with the secrecy from you? Is this a game? Do you have some desire to be mysterious so people think you're special? What is is with you?!"