Twenty One

As the two stepped back into camp, a soldier caught their gaze and stood from the campfire. He was a young man, probably only 20 or so. He was recovering, his arm in a sling and torso in bandages. His mates sat clustered around the heat, eyes down.

"The heroes have returned!" He yelled, thrusting a fist into the air.

"Hurrah!" his mates weakly cried, chanting in a loop until Harper Windle stepped from her tent. Their cheers fell silent as her presence was made known, and their eyes became fixed on the three.

Windle smiled lightly. "I could hear the roars from here. When they became silent, I feared that he had killed you both. As it happens, I can only assume that he has fled, as the two of you seem mostly unharmed."

Synika grinned, pushing Zina forward, past Harper and towards the huddle of soldiers.

"Boys, I think Zina has quite a tale for you! Why don't we ask her to recount her battle, hmm?" Synika told them.

"Aye!" they cried in unison, scooting around on the logs to make space for her to sit.

"Tell us!" A soldier cried, followed by hoots of enthusiasm.

Synika turned to the Harper. "Join them. It'll be good for you."

Windle eyed the elf, finally nodding. "Okay. Maybe you're right."

As she went to join the others, Synika stepped into her own tent to greet her tiger, who was sprawled out across the cot, mouth wide open in a snore. Synika rubbed her head and sat opposite her, pulling her bow from her back.

The obsidian weapon still gleamed as it had been since she got it, sparkling as she turned it over in her hands. She wondered what sort of craftsman had carved such a piece, especially something of volcanic glass.

Perhaps an enslaved Fire elemental had been forced to forge it. Whatever the case, she was happy to have it.

She stepped back out of the tent as Zina had nearly finished her story. As Synika had expected, Zina was overwhelmed with excitement, standing on her feet and thrashing her arms as she tried to reenact the great battle.

"-and with a final plunge of the sword, the dragon was slain!" Zina cried, yanking her sword from her belt and pointing it skyward, where a thin beam of golden radiance burst from the tip, rocketing to the heavens.

"Hurrah!" The men cried again. "Charthraxis is slain!"

Windle stood slowly, a hush falling quickly over the group. Zina replaced her sword, facing the Harper. Synika stood a short distance behind.

"Stories are all fun and entertaining, but I thought Charthraxis only fled." Windle said.

Synika cut Zina's response off. "No. You said he fled, we didn't confirm that. The green dragon was put to justice, and he is very much gone."

Windle blinked, then slowly nodded. "So he is, then.." She trailed off. "Well, I must send word at once. We may have a fighting chance to retake the graveyard!" The Harper said, rushing into her tent.

Synika followed her inside. "What will happen now?" She asked, taking the stool to sit on. Zina stepped inside.

The Harper looked over her shoulder as she scribbled a note on parchment. "With the dragon gone, our soldiers can take the graveyard."

Zina made a worried face. "Surely not the men outside?"

Windle shook her head. "No, they are far too weak. But Neverember may have a second thought about reinforcements with the dragon gone." She said, finishing her note and leaving the tent. Synika followed, Zina in tow.

The Harper trotted to the far end of the camp, stopping at a T shaped post, where two messenger birds sat waiting. As she fixed the note to a leg, Synika grabbed her wrist.

"Wait." The elf said. "I have a better idea."

Synika took the note, handing it to Zina. "When I say, tie it on." Synika instructed.

The girl pulled her bow from her back, drawing a blink arrow into existence. The white-gold projectile shimmered. "Now."

Zina stepped forward, taking the string from the bird's leg and binding the rolled note to the shaft of the arrow.

Windle protested. "How is this-"

Zina, still tying, explained. "The arrow will vanish and reappear four feet from its target at the same speed. The idea is to shoot it at a point near Knox so he hears or sees it, thus getting your message to him in the time it takes for an arrow to reach him at full, never slowing speed. Which I'd reckon is under a minute."

Synika giggled. "Exactly!"

Windle knitted her eyebrows. "Are you sure?"

Synika envisioned the small bookshelf behind Knox's desk, focusing on the text furthest to the right. She hoped no one would be standing there.

"Nope." Synika said, letting the arrow go with a twang. It travelled four feet, then flashed out of existence, taking the note with it.

"But," Synika continued, "Should Knox accidentally get an arrow in his head, we'll pretend we have no idea what happened."

Windle looked disapproving. "I'm trusting that it will. If there is no word by tomorrow, then I will have to-"

"He'll get it. I'll take the note myself if I need." Synika said. "In the meantime, we're off to Blackdagger to deal with undead pirates and.. Whatever."

Windle nodded. "Thank you for your help, truly."

Synika smiled, walking back to her tent. "I'll send you my fee." She called, flapping her tent and calling her tiger, who yawned and joined them.

Windle tilted her head. "I don't think-"

"It's a joke." Zina said.

The Harper relaxed.

"It's mine you'll be getting." Zina added, walking to the gate, giggling.

The Harper was left amidst the camp, and the three started back down the tunnel.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Miles away, Knox sat still, pouring over a map on his desk. Hastily drawn lines lay over it, plotting out possible attack positions. Even with so much done, the war didn't feel any closer to being over. He leaned back into his chair, lifting a mug from his desk and taking a long drink.

At once, there was a flash to his left, and a loud twang. Knox dived, rolling away from the sound and laying flat on his belly. When nothing happened, he slowly stood, approaching the arrow. He blinked, confused.

Pulling the arrow from the wall, it disintegrated in his hand, leaving only a note bound by string. He untied it, unravelling the parchment and scanning it quickly. As the words filled his mind, his eyes widened.

The Sergeant clutched the note, racing up the palace stairs to the throne room. He burst through the entranceway, stopping in the middle of the circular room. He raised the note to Lord Neverember, who stood slowly. The white man was lean, if not scrawny, with a wiry white beard to his upper chest. He wore blue robes trimmed in yellow, like a cheesy wizard's costume. As usual, there was no crown upon his head.

"What is it, Sergeant Knox?" Neverember asked.

The burly man wheezed, catching his breath. "My Lord Protector.. the.. The dragon of Neverdeath.. has been slain!"