Five

The only barmaid on duty that day walked over quickly to them, eyeing the young girl. She herself was a normal human, with a shoulder length bob cut and a gentle face. She looked like a mother, and had the soft tone to match.

"Hi, is there something I can get for you?"

Drizzt gave her a large amount of money, telling her, "Four ales and two shots of faelnirv."

"Ah.. the girl is a bit young for ale.. especially fael-"

"Fine, here." Drizzt said, pulling more money out of his pocket and shoving it directly into her apron. She closed her mouth promptly and wandered off to the counter.

Synika kept her head down, slowly undoing her braid and letting her hair fall over her shoulders.

"I'm sorry." She said.

Drizzt was silent.

The barmaid returned with the order, nodding politely. When she had left, Drizzt passed two ales and a shot to Synika.

"Take the shot. It'll help."

"I don't know what that means." She replied, mousy.

"The small one. It's called a shot. It's faelnirv, an elven liquor made with mead, hallucinogens, and gods know what else."

"Hallucinogens?"

"Makes you sees things that aren't real. Like ghosts, but in your head. Don't worry, though.. Elves are immune to this stuff. Just drink it."

Synika nodded, reaching out. She raised it to her lips.

"Wait." Drizzt stopped her. "Listen, when you take a shot, you've got to throw it all back and swallow it without waiting."

She nodded, wiping her wet eyes. She tossed her head back, draining the liquid in a single gulp. Her eyes widened instantly and she stared ahead at Drizzt.

"This feels like.. like the sunshine I felt for the first time. But inside."

"Exactly." He replied, doing his own shot, slamming the glass down when he was finished.

Synika reached for the ale. "And this?"

"It's just a type of beer, a drink enjoyed far and wide." Drizzt smiled. "Careful, you wouldn't want to get drunk."

"What?" Synika asked.

Drizzt laughed, despite himself. Explaining things was wearing him out, but at the same time, it was adorable. "It's when you drink too much alcohol, which is what that stuff is. Messes with your senses, makes you feel floaty. Takes a lot to get an elf or drow drunk, trust me, but it's hardest to slump a dwarf." He paused. "You know what dwarves are, yes?" He asked, waving a hand.

"Oh, yes. Ravin told us about all the races he knew..." Synika said. Her eyes lit up for a second. "Have you ever met a tiefling?!"

"Oh, indeed, and they've often got quite the fiery temper. Goes well with their strong drives and intelligence, though."

Synika smiled. "I want to meet one.."

"Yes, well.. as I was saying, dwarves are hard to get drunk, but you Elves developed faelnirv to put them on their ass. They may not get drunk, but they aren't immune to seeing the crazy colors that come with the drink."

Synika smiled. "Sounds like a trip."

Drizzt shrugged. "Wouldn't know, and neither would you."

There was a long silence, the two of them sipping from their mugs.