"Yeah, sure. I'll be out of both of your hair in no time," she turned her attention from Daniel to Aman. "But Aman are you sure you are okay? Anything you want to talk about? You know that we are always here for you, right?"

It dawned upon him how evident his sorrow was on his face. He tried to force a smile nevertheless.

"I'm okay Sophie. Just had a weird day. Met someone I haven't seen in a long while. Brought back a lot of...a lot of memories."

"Is this the same girl who's photo you carry in your wallet?"

Aman's lips curved up into a sad, half smile. He had once shared a part of his story with her over coffee, when Sophie had told him about how she missed her late husband, Daniel's father who died in an accident when he was only 3. That's partly how they bonded, apart from bonding over mutual love for Daniel, by sharing their grief over losing someone they loved.

"Yeah, it was her," he replied.

Sophie remained silent for a while.

"Was it really bad?" She tried to gauge the situation without being too intrusive.

Aman sighed and dropped his head on the back of the couch.

"I don't know. It's like, I haven't felt anything in a long while and now all of a sudden there is this surge of emotions that I'm trying to hold back but I just can't."

"It's alright. Sometimes you just need to let go of it. Allow yourself to feel. I'm no shrink but I have lived in denial for a very long time and it did nothing but harm. Took me years to learn to allow myself to grieve, and that helped me better than any anti-depressant ever could."

He looked at her, trying to take in the advice she gave. Daniel had stopped playing a while ago when he saw the seriousness that took over Aman and Sophie's face. He left his ball and slowly took a few steps towards them, until he stopped in front of Aman.

He looked at him with his young hazel eyes and leaned forward. Aman, unable to understand what he wanted leaned forward towards him too. Daniel lifted his hands and ran it across his face, wiping the streak of tears. A broad smile appeared on Aman's face automatically. He cupped Daniel's face with love and adoration. Daniel took a few steps back and made a few gestures with his hands. He was saying 'Don't be sad, I love you' in sign language. That little gesture of love and kindness warmed even the deepest corner of his heart.

"I know buddy, I love you too." Aman pulled him closer and took him into his embrace. Sophie looked at both of them from the sofa beside and could not stop smiling.

At times, Aman really would wish from the bottom of his heart that Daniel was not mute. The boy who spread happiness everywhere he went, he deserved to lead a normal life too. No matter how much he denied, the fact remained that his speech impairment did hold him back in certain aspects. Sophie, being a mother, left no stone unturned to try to give her son his voice back. But somethings are just not destined to be. It broke his heart knowing that he couldn't do anything for him.

Looking at Daniel when he thought of it again, something he heard earlier that day ran through his mind.

"...hamare bacchey shayad normal nahi honge."

Was it starting to make sense to him now? Her fears, her inhibition, suddenly they started to feel valid. But one look at Daniel, who was now back to playing football, and his mind was clear again. No matter what the disability or the problem, there was nothing that could reduce his love for him. And he would feel the same for his own children too. Parents may worry for the future of their children, but they can never stop loving them no matter what. One cannot simply let the fear of what could happen, make nothing happen. If only he could make her understand.