Chapter 23

He was wearing a black vest on top of a grey shirt. Looked like he came straight from work, or at least that what the slight darkness under his eyes were telling. The stoic expressions when he pulled the chair and sat down in front of her was enough to shake her confidence. Firdaus gulped trying to moisten her throat that was beginning to run dry.

"Mujhe laga tum nahi ayoge."

"Mujhe bhi laga main nahi aoonga."

A tensed silence spread between them and both remained quiet for the next few seconds.

"Ek emergency case thi, isilye late hogaya. Sorry."

Her heart had begun to sink until he said the last line. A glimpse of the same old Aman, he did not leave her waiting intentionally. It gave her some relief. But soon that relief turned into anxiety when she realised he was waiting for her to speak.

"Main yahan London picchle saal ayi thi. Apni undergraduate complete karne. Baba ke ek friend hai, ex-ambassador. He helped me get an admission."

She carefully and unobtrusively tried to read his mind from his face, but his expressions were as indifferent as it was when he came. She continued nevertheless.

"Us din jab maine ghar chhorne ka faisla kiya, main Rawalpindi gayi thi, Neelam phuppo ke paas Woh baba ki cousin hai. Maama sey bhi maine 2-3 din baad hi contact kiya. Mujhe us waqt aur kuch nahi samajh aa raha tha. Waapis nahi jaa sakti thi, kyunki tumhara saamna karna mere liye bohat mushkil tha. Na wahan se kahin aur jaa sakti thi. Kuch din main wahin ruk gayi, aur age kya karna hai uske bare main socha."

"Tum mujhe yeh sab kyun bata rahi ho?" He asked her lifting one of his brows ever so slightly. But Firdaus had no answer, so instead, Aman paused for a bit and asked her another question.

"Yahan aane se pehle kya tumhe pata tha ke main London main hoon?"

She nodded her head. "Maama ne bataya tha ke tum wapis chale gaye ho."

Aman nodded his head too, in an understanding fashion. When she lifted her eyes and looked at him, the question that was coming next was written all over his face.

"Pata nahi yeh meri guilt thi ya tumhare liye mohabbat, main sirf ek baar milna chahti thi tumse."

"Toh phir? Apna man kyun badal liya? Mera number toh tumhe kaafi asaani se mil gaya." He said as a matter-of-factly.

She tried her best to avert meeting his gaze. "Main....main himmat nahi kar payi." What else could she say?

"Oh," he widened his eyes. "Toh aaj achanak kahan se himmat aagayi? Kyun milne bulaya mujhe?"

"Maafi maangne ke liye." There was moisture in her eyes. "Aman jo kuch bhi –"

He gathered his brows in annoyance and scoffed, lifting his hands to ask her to stop. 

"Please. Mujhe tumhari maafi-waafi nahi chahiye. Bas ek jawab chahiye. Agar de payi toh main mutmaeen hokar yahan se chala jaunga."

He paused and straightened in his seat, bent forwards and looked straight into her eyes.

"Kyun?"

And no matter how tough he pretended to be, Firdaus could see the pain reflecting in his eyes.

She really had no answer to that question. It was not that she hadn't expected it, she did. In fact she had even rehearsed what she would say, but alas, when the time came she drew a blank.

"Nahi de paogi na jawaab?" He leaned back and let out a deep sigh. Her eyes were evading his and he could tell he was not going to get his answer. So he did the next best thing he could.