Chapter 24

"The only way to mend a broken heart is with the pieces of another one."

- Broken but beautiful

It is astonishing how easily one can drown in the pieces of their own shattered soul. 8 years ago could she have thought her life would one day turn out like this? Never, never in her wildest dreams. But now it was her reality that she couldn't run away from. When she had reached a stable stage of rehabilitation, she had decided she was going to stop herself from self-pitying. She wanted to move on and let the people around her move on as well. That was what she had in mind atleast. It was going to hurt like hell, but all wounds eventually heal no matter how aggravated they are. And that was the sad part. That one day, it will heal. One day, he will move on and maybe so will she. Their love and friendship would become remnants of a turbulent past and nothing more than that.

But was that not what she had wanted? Then why was she feeling suffocated and forlorn? Was Aman right about her, about pushing herself too far away from loved ones?

All these question played on her mind over and over again like a broken vinyl record. Loneliness was feeding on her like a hungry demon. When it become too hard to stand she took out her phone. It was still early in the evening so she hoped her mother was awake. Firdaus dialed her number and pressed the phone against her ear, sniffing back the tears and clearing her throat before Shagufta picked up.

"Hello?"

"Firdaus? Kya baat hai beta? Aaj itni raat ko phone karliya? Main toh sone jaa rahi thi phir tumhari call agayi. Sab khairiyat? Tum theek ho na?" She sounded worried but no other voice had given Firdaus so much reassurance ever before.

Firdaus sucked in a deep breath and replied, "Nahi maama, main bilkul bhi theek nahi hoon." She dropped her head on the pillow and began to silently weep.

This was the first time in year that she had completely poured her heart out to her mother.

*****

Aman took off his glasses and rubbed the sides of his temples. He opened the cabinet and reached for the aspirin that was kept in the medicine box, and dropped three of them in the glass of water in front. It wasn't a typical hospital day. Today he needed extra painkillers.

Everytime her face would come in front of his eyes, he would take sip of the unpleasant liquid. He was on his last few sips when the doorbell rang.

Daniel came running in just as he opened the door and threw his small arms around his waist. Amongst all that had happened, he had completely forgotten that he was supposed to take him out to play football.

"Hey buddy! Wow someone's really energetic today." Aman bent down and ruffled his hair. Daniel gave him a meek smile in reply. He took his hands and walked him inside, they were followed by Sophie who closed the door as they settled in.

"Looks like you've had a rough day." Sophie said pointing at the empty aspirin packets lying on the table.

"Yeah, sort of."

Sophie nodded understandingly. "So, should I bring him back later when you're free? You probably should take some rest."

"No! Are you kidding? I would've drowned in grief if this little superhero without a cape didn't come and save me." he chuckled dryly as they sat down on the couch. Daniel had already started playing with his football in the hall.

"I'll just go and freshen up a bit, and then we can head out while the sun is still up. You can go back to work and pick him up later. We'll have dinner together." Daniel looked at his mom and nodded vigorously smiling wide. Aman looked at his enthusiasm and laughed.