Chapter 10

It had been almost two hours waiting in the corridor in the emergency room. A few doctors and nurses came and went, but none of them turned around to ask him questions or answer his ones. But he waited patiently, or atleast he seemed patient on the outside. The turmoil that was creating a havoc inside him was unbeknownst to the world. Nothing made sense, nothing felt safe. He sat there on the uncomfortable chairs, waiting for someone to come, even though a part of him wondered if anyone would ever come.

His phone was buzzing. It was almost 1 am. Adil had called him four times and texted, but he didn't have the chance to reply.

Adil: Bhai, aap kahan hai? It's so late. Are you alright?

He picked up his phone and typed.

Aman: I'm okay. Got caught up with something.

He didn't want to talk much about it over text.

"Excuse me, yeh jo andar patient hai, inhe aap yahan le aye hai?" Finally, a young doctor came out of the room and walked up to him. Aman stood up instantly.

"Jee."

"Kya aap inhe jaante hai, ya...?"

"Main...I'm a friend of hers. Is everything alright doctor? Is she okay?"

"Yes she's fine now. Fikar karne ki koi baat nahi hai. Thankfully koi internal injuries nahi hai. Lekin concussion ke wajah se hum inhe kuch deir aur observation mein rakhna chahte hai. Concussion yaani -"

"Mujhe pata hai, I'm a doctor."

The doctor looked rather strangely at him after the revelation.

"Ah, I see. Phir toh thodi aur asaani hojayegi aapse case discuss karne mein. Actually hum patient ko koi dawai administer nahi kar pa rahe hai, because her tox screens came back. They're suggesting high levels of narcotics in her system. Kya aap mujhe bata sakte hai what drug it might be?"

At first he thought he heard him wrong, but then the doctor repeated his question.

"Dekhiye doctor..."

"Aman."

"Doctor Aman, there's no point in hiding anything from us. Hum doctors hai, police nahi. Drug interactions kitne khatarnak hosakte hai yeh aapko achhe se pata hoga. Toh behtar hai aap hume bata dein take hum appropriate action le sake."

He was too dumbfounded to respond.

"Doctor mujhe lagta hai aapko koi ghalat fehmi hui hai. Yeh drugs nahi leti."

The doctor shook his head slightly, "Dekhe drugs toh inke system mein hai. Ab inhone khud liya hai ya kise ne spike kiya hai yeh main nahi jaanta. Lekin agar aapko kuch bhi pata hai, anything at all, please tell us. I can run more tests to figure out what the type of drug is but it will waste a lot more time. She's already in a lot of pain."

"Main..." Aman turned his gaze and looked through the glass of the room. She was lying there on the bed, bruised and broken. The sight gave him shudders.

"Achha theek hai. Agar aap nahi jante toh inke kise family member ko bulay. Hum unse mashwara karlenge."

"I'm not in touch with her family."

"I thought you said you were a friend?"

"Yes I am, but I was not here for many years. I just came back a week ago. Mere paas uski family ka koi contact number nahi hai."

The doctor pursed his lips. He clearly looked like he did not buy it, but didn't ask anything further either. There was silence between them for a few moments while he noted down something on the paper in his hands.