Chapter 18

The Hamdani house boasted of elegance and luxury. Firdaus had visited the place often, so had Aman a few times after he became friends with Zubin. Although they mostly met outside as Zubin did not like the political atmosphere of his house, he had gleefully invited them over for lunch at times. That is when he met his father.

Zulfiqar Hamdani was a well-known and reputed political leader in Lahore. A stern and cunning man, but an equally doting father, from what they could tell. He had a large number of supporters and followers owing to the nature of his profession. Needless to say on the event off his only sons death there were thousands gathered at the house to pay their last respects. The tragedy was so grave that it had overshadowed the magnificence of the mansion. Firdaus, along with Aman and Shagufta reached just before the funeral was about to end. Upon reaching the doorstep, she hesitated to go inside. She did not know what to expect. Her best friend had died, her only support who had stuck with her throughout her worst times had left her alone, broken and miserable. A part of her did not want to accept it, did not want to go in a face reality. But there were too many goodbyes in her life that had been left unsaid and she did not want one more.

When she quietly started to make her way inside she saw Zulfiqar sitting on one of the sofas with a few other men who were trying to console him as he grieved Zubin's death. She tried to go by unnoticed as she had no idea how she would face him after all that had happened but despite her efforts, he had spotted her. At once, he stood up and advanced towards them at a steady speed. There was anger in his eyes and it did not take her long to realise why.

"Tumhari himmat kaise huyi yahan ane ki?"

Firdaus, dumbfounded, gaped at his face. Aman and Shagufta were a few steps behind her. If they hadn't heard what he said yet they were going to hear it now.

"Tumhari wajah se aaj mera beta zinda nahi hai. Tumhe kya lagta hai tum hamare dukh mein shareek hone ka dhong karogi aur main maan looga?"

"Uncle main-" her voice was caught up in her throat.

"Uncle yeh aap kaisi baate kar rahe hai? Firdaus Zubin ki dost hai woh bas usey ek baar-"

Zulfiqar raised his hand in front of his face, gesturing him to stop.

"Mujhe kuch nahi sunna. Is larki ko mere saamne se le jao issey pehle main kuch ulta seedha kardoon."

This time, unable to control her anger, Shagufta stepped in.

"Zulfiqar sahb, aap meri beti se aise bata nahuli kar sakte."

He sharply turned towards her and eyed her with immense anger.

"Agar aaj mere bete ki jagah aap ki beti hoti, tabh bhi aap yehi kehti? Uski wajah se maine apne beta khoya hai!"

"Zubin ke saath jo hua woh bohat galat tha. Hum sab ko us baat ka afsos hai. Police dhoond rahe hai asli qaatil ko, aur InShaAllah jald pakre bhi jayenge. Lekin aap meri beti par hargiz aise ilzam nahi laga sakte."

"Achha? Aapko afsos hai? Bari khushi huyi jaankar" he scoffed. "Qaatil jo koi bhi ho, sach toh yeh hai ke us din agar Zubin aapki beti ke saath nahi jaata, usko bachane ki koshish na karta toh aaj woh zinda hota!"

He turned his gaze towards Firdaus again, who was now standing timidly trying to hold back her tears.

"Mere bete ne bohat pehle hi drugs lena chhor diya tha. Uska un drug peddlers se koi lena dena nahi tha. Lekin woh phir bhi gaya. Tumhare bulane pe. Tumhari galati ki saza usko kyun mili? Bloody drug addict."

"Mister Zulfiqar Hamdani! Main kisi ko bhi ijazaat nahi doongi ke woh meri beti se iss tarah baat kare. Aap apne bete ki maut ki takleef main hai isiliye main zyada kuch nahi keh rahi hoon.