Chapter 4

The next few weeks had gone by in the blink of an eye. Exam preparations had kept them busy, so much so that they barely even had the chance to meet each other. Everyone was dealing with their own set of problems. With the exams fast approaching and university application deadlines coming close, it was one of the most stressful phases of their lives. Nevertheless, all five of the friends had pulled through.

It was a dusky evening, but there was still some light pouring through the window in Firdaus's room. She had lit the dim fairy lights that hung on the wall opposite to her bed. It was just enough light for her to pray with concentration. When she finished making a long du'a, she spotted Aman standing in one side of her study table with his arms folded across his chest, looking at her with a smile on his face.

"Arey, tum kab aye?"

"Bas, thodi der pehle jab tum namaz parh rahi thi. Itni lambi du'a kiske liye maang rahi thi?"

Firdaus smiled as she folded the prayer mat and took off the dupatta from over her head. She sat down on the bed and patted on it, gesturing Aman to come sit beside her.

"Bas yunhi, sab ke liye. Baba ke liye, maama ke liye, Zaitoon khala ke liye, tumhare liye, Jannat ke –"

"Mere liye? Tum mere liye du'a kar rahi thi?" A smirk started playing on his lips.

Firdaus lowered her gaze for a moment, then lifted it up again and answered, "Hamesha hi karti hoon."

Aman beamed in happiness, as if he had just achieved something big.

"Main tumhare liye kuch laya tha..." he picked up the packet from the floor. "Yeh jab main baba ke saath Peshawar gaya tha last weekend tab liya tha."

Firdaus gasped a little when he took out the emerald green glass bangles from the paper bag. He firmly but gently held her hands and brought them closer, carefully sliding the bangles one by one onto her wrist.

"These are so beautiful." She couldn't take her eyes off them. The set of the bangles had some golden, intricately designed ones in between that complimented the lush green color of the glass ones. A perfect combination that never failed.

"Thank you Aman."

He could see the twinkle in her eyes even in the dim lighting, and reciprocated with a smile equally as beautiful.

"You're welcome.

Achha ab main chalta hoon. I have some work to do at home."

"Abhi? Par tum abhi abhi toh aye ho. Ruk jao na thodi der."

"Ruk jaata, lekin aaj sach mein bauhat kaam hai. Main toh bas tumhe yeh chooriyan dene aya tha." He stood up and straightened his jacket. "Aur suno, Saturday ko yaad sey time par aa jana."

"Theek hai baba aa jaungi."

"Bye." Aman turned around and walked towards the door, but he stopped when he heard a familiar music.

Abhi na jao chhor kar,

Ke dil abhi bhara nahi...

A smile crept on his lips. He looked back at Firdaus siting on the bed, a playful smile on her face and her phone in her hand, from which she was playing the song.

She would never stop being extra, he thought to himself. But perhaps that's why he adores her so much. Her unfiltered way of expressing love, it was unlike anything else.

"Firdaus, BYE." He chuckled and left.

On his way out, Aman met Shagufta as she was coming in from the main door.