14 | G O D D E S S

"I can see your face in all of my dreamsSmiling, laughing, from the shadows"

Smiling, laughing, from the shadows"

* * *

"It's good to see that you're better," said Kit handing her the flowers.

River thanked him kindly, "I'm glad to be better and it's all down to you getting me that doctor. He gave me some medication and then it was like magic, I was fine. I keep trying to thank you but every time I go to the front desk you're not there."

Kit scratched the back of his neck, "yeah, I had a few days off. Sorry about that. If I'd have known I would have come to see you."

"It's no bother, really it isn't. I hope you enjoyed your work-free days."

"Yeah they were good, I went out with a few mates and relaxed in front of the telly for the rest. What about yourself? What have you been doing these past few days?"

"Well, I explored a little bit of the area in the opposite direction to this and that was about it really. It's a fascinating place."

Kit agreed with her as they took a seat on a bench, "it is indeed. After the few weeks will you be here much longer? Or will you leave?"

"Probably leave. It's a nice place but it isn't the place for me. Holiday-worthy but not spend the rest of my life here-worthy."

"Is that what you're searching for? A place to spend the rest of your life?"

"I am."

"Why? You're young, you have plenty of time to settle in one place. Why not give other places a try for longer than a few weeks? Sometimes places grow on you, make you want to spend the rest of your life somewhere after you really experience it. I don't think a few weeks can dictate that." Lot really wanted River to stay, he wanted to get to know her more. For such a magnificently looking woman he sure was attracted to her and her Irish accent just accentuated it all and made her even more irresistible. He wanted to feel her lips on his, feel her hands run through his hair and he wanted to hold onto her hips and pull her close. But if she was to leave he would not get this.

River shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know, Kit. I suppose one day I will settle but at the moment I love travelling and I don't want to stop until I find the place or run out of money."

Kit sighed, he knew it was too good to be true. "What if you never find that place? Will you return to places you've already visited?"

"Who knows what the future holds? I might do."

Heading back towards the hotel, Kit and River continued to discuss the latter's plans and as they walked the man attempted to shoot his shot. He put his arm around her waist but River stiffened instead of relaxing in his touch. To not make it more awkward than it was Kit gently pulled her towards him to let a lady past them and then proceeded to let her go. As dumbfounded as he was, he didn't let it ruin the day as when they got to the hotel he joined her in her room where she put the flowers in the bathroom sink and they sat on her bed playing cards.

"Go fish," said River making him pick up a card.

"Any sixes?" She handed him two cards, "any twos?"

"Go fish. Any kings?"

"Go fish."

"Any... boyfriend?"

"That's not a card."

Kit flushed red and looked down at his lap, "so you do have one?"

River shook her head, "absolutely not. Do you think I would up and leave a boyfriend to go travelling and potentially not come back?"

"You might not go home?"

"Not for a while, I thought we've already discussed this."

"True, true of course we have. My bad. Any threes?"

* * *

"I kid you not, Bill, I saw some fit girl in the market the other day!"

"Charlie, you would say a cow was fit! This is not breaking news," Bill shook his head at his younger brother as he leaned back into the chair sipping his firewhisky. He had another week booked off, his work was very generous this year due to sending him all around the world to work he was granted plenty of time off and thus so he went to visit his younger brother Charlie who happened to work at a dragon sanctuary in Romania.

"No mate, I'm not kidding she was flawless! Too bad her man turned up otherwise I'd have totally taken her out. She must have been a Veela or, at least, part-Veela. She was a goddess!" Charlie gushed over this woman, and it seemed as if he was totally in love with her even though they had merely encountered each other for such a small portion of time.

Bill was sure that he was going crazy because he zoned out mid-speech from Charlie, his mind travelling to River. How could a stranger like herself encapsulate him in such a way that he cannot stop thinking about her? Was he crazy to follow her to Greece just because he had a wonderful one-night stand with her in Paris? Yes. Was it totally dangerous? Possibly. Would he follow her to the end of the earth if it meant he could feel her kiss once again? Of course he would. River was one of a kind and he can't help but yearn for her. Their short time together needed to be longer. He wanted to find her again and this time not let her go but he knew that it would probably never happen, that he'll more than likely never see her again.

He wondered where she was right now? Was she thinking of him? Does she even remember his name? He wondered whether she was enjoying herself? Whether she has found herself and her happy place? Or if she was still searching? All unanswered questions that he wished to know the answer to. He wished he had gotten some way to contact her so that he could be sure that they would meet again.

But he didn't.

"Bill, are you even listening to me?"

"What? Oh, yeah! Goddess-like woman?"

"Yes!" Charlie groaned, "heck I wish she was single! I would treat her real good."

"I thought you only loved your dragons?"

"I didn't say it was love, idiot. It could be one day, but I really want her man! She could run me over with a lorry and I'd thank her. She was so beautiful."

"So you've said," Bill rolled his eyes, his mind returning to River as he simply smiled and nodded at what his brother was rambling on about. At least in his case he was able to have River for a short time, unlike Charlie who couldn't even finish a conversation.

"Mate, you'd want her if you saw her."

"I doubt that."

A/n- if anyone is any good at making covers and like to make a new one for this book, I would be most grateful <3