10 | T H E B A R

"I was so lonesome, I was blueI couldn't help it, it had to be you and IAlways thought you knew the reason whyI only wanted a little love affair"

I couldn't help it, it had to be you and I
Always thought you knew the reason why
I only wanted a little love affair"

* * *

"I'm so glad there are no other houses close by," exclaimed River as she collapsed onto the bed beside Bill, pulling the duvet up to cover herself.

"Why?" Bill asked rather confused from her random comment. He sat up, leaning on his elbow as he brushed some hair out of the beautiful woman's face.

River chuckled, "because we'd more than likely get a noise complaint otherwise."

"Yeah and whose fault would that be?"

River slapped him on the chest, "you're just as loud buddy!"

Bill chortled loudly and shook his head, "I don't wanna leave tomorrow." He complained, dampening the mood.

"Then don't. Stay with me," Suggested River who rolled over and laid on top of him. "Just say that someone has taken you hostage and won't let you leave. I promise you won't regret it." She smirked, her lips attaching to his neck, peppering his skin with kisses, flicking her tongue over each spot.

Bill closed his eyes in ecstasy and buried his hands in her hair, "I wish I could, River, but I have a job that I need to do.... merl- oh God..."

"Then we'll have to make the most of the next twenty four hours," River compromised, adjusting herself to straddle Bill.

"Jesus we're like rabbits we are," He laughed, "but I'm not complaining. Come 'ere."

* * *

River waved goodbye to Bill who left the farmhouse, his bag on his back sending her a sad smile as he distanced himself further away. River leaned against the balcony, her eyes trailing from Bill's body to the skyline where the sun was setting across the sea and shining down onto the rich blue waters.

It was a beautiful place but there was something missing. Of course, she could spend more time on the island and search for it but at the same time she yearned to see more of the world. Despite the island being rich in character and being practically another world in its own, there was something, possibly small, possibly big, which remained unknown within her.

Sighing, she pushed herself off of the railing and strolled back into the house and over to her diary.

Next stop:

Romania.

But for now she would stay for a little longer on the island. Changing into long skirt and tying up her T-shirt into a knot just above her belly button, River made her way down to the bar to have a cheeky little drink by herself. Bill had fortunately stayed longer than he had originally planned to, saying he needed to use up some more of his holiday time and thought it would be nice to spend it with her, but keep a few weeks for time to spend with his family.

They didn't speak about their family or home lives, not much at least. There was the odd mention from Bill who would say things like: "oh, mum used to make fudge for me and my siblings" or "don't tell my mum this, but I think you make a better Yorkshire pudding than her". But River doubted the second one, she wasn't a fantastic cook at all. Or so she thought.  But that's besides the point.

Ordering a small gin and lemonade, she crossed her left leg over her right and swayed to the music playing in the background from the live band. The bar was quite full for a Thursday evening, it ranged from old to young people all who seemed to be having a calm and relaxing evening which was so much different to a bar in England that was for sure, or perhaps that's because the majority of the time that as was in a bar about thirty other students, including Alexis and Lottie. Speaking of the two, she wondered when she would hear back from them after sending them both a postcard that she had brought from a little stall in the market square.

River was soon brought out of her thoughts at the sound of: "Wow, I did not expect to actually see you again."

"I told you I'd be here, didn't I?" She replied picking the olive off of the cocktail stick and perching it in the napkin she had on the table.

"Well, I guess you did," said Mathias, "but I didn't actually expect you to keep your word."

"Why not?" Asked River kicking the seat opposite her away from the table so that Mathias could take a seat. The man laughed at her action and sat down taking a sip of her drink with a wink and then taking the olive she had disregarded and eating it.

He shrugged, "I don't know, after all, you said yourself that you just go with the flow."

"Indeed I do, buddy," she laughed, "how was your race?"

Mathias' face dropped and he kicked the dust on the floor, "it was terrible. I lost within the first day, my sails ripped and my temporary lights ran out of battery."

The girls' eyes widened, "oh my god! That's horrible, I'm so sor— you are a nasty man! Why did you do that?!" She exclaimed as a smirk curled on his lips, a playful glint shimmering in his bright blue eyes that matched the colour of the ocean only minutes away from the bar they sat in. His long blonde hair had grown even longer and still flowed in luxurious waves that framed his chiselled but also soft face. 

"Because it was funny," he chortled, "you should've seen your face!"   

River shook her head in disbelief, "how could I have seen my face when I don't have a mirror?"

"How very correct, dearest River. Let me show you." Mathias contorted his face into one of sheer horror, of course, a hyperbolic depiction of River's actual reaction to his joke. He received a small slap on the arm which he swiped away and took hold of her wrist. "Have you missed me?"

River froze. She hadn't. Not whilst she had Bill. Bill. She had literally just said goodbye to him. The flirtatious man sat before her waiting patiently for her response. She bit her lip and she replied, "nah not really," playing it off cool. What could she say? 'Not really, buddy, I've been in bed with someone for the majority of the time'. She couldn't say that. Not when she was attracted to him, but also bill at the same time. Besides, she's young, what's wrong with a bit of fun? It's not like she's actually tied down to anyone and in a committed relationship.

"I don't believe you."

"Welp, that's you're problem, buddy."