11 | D I V E

"I've had a few little love affairsThey didn't last very long and they've been pretty scarce"

They didn't last very long and they've been pretty scarce"

* * *

Instead of taking Mathias back to the farmhouse, River ended up in the familiar bedroom at the hull of the boat, laying awake facing away from Mathias who rested on his back with on arm behind his head and the other hand on his chest. No, they didn't do anything, only harmlessly laying beside each other. Mathias was rather tired from his day of sailing and River was as well courtesy of not getting much sleep the previous night but at the same time her body remained wide awake.

Bill was so lovely and she totally meant it when she suggested for him staying with her. And Mathias, to be honest, she would probably say the same thing to him as well because he was equally as lovely. It vexed her how my both men had taken a toll on her, this travelling malarkey was never meant for a men infested party, but instead a search for herself. She isn't Alexis who quite possibly revolves her life around men. And previously, River would frown at that and not see the point but now, it was like she had been stabbed with a needle full of drugs and the only way to get that high was in fact: men.

Holy mother of god she felt so crude and slutty. But at the same time she felt so... so... unexplainable. It just felt nice. Bill made her feel so special, as if she was a goddess. He looked after her and made her so happy. He was so lovingly adorable as well. Whereas Mathias, he made her feel as if she was on fire, a burning flame which lit up any sky. He was so playful but so gentle at the same time.

She turned her head to glance over at Mathias who slept peacefully, his lips slightly parted and his face rather stubbly from the lack of shaving over the past few weeks of sailing. He was undoubtedly handsome and his accent was knee-bucklingly gorgeous. It was so beautiful it would make butter melt and the way her name rolled off the tongue was just delightful. But there was just something that she had only recently (in the recent hours of pondering) discovered. She had a new perspective of the man but she couldn't explain it.

"You're still awake," Mathias Said, his voice husky and deep as his eyes remained shut. "Why?"

"I can't sleep," she confessed.

"Do you want a cuddle?" He asked her, moving his arm from beneath his head and holding it out. "My mother used to cuddle me to sleep and it always worked."

"Are you calling yourself my mam?" She questioned in confusion, "because let's face it, hun, you're nothing like her. She's Irish for starters. You're Scandinavian. A bit of difference there buddy."

He snickered softly, "all I am saying is that it might aid you to fall to sleep. Now, my arm is getting tired and so am I therefore it would be nice if you to decide quickly please."

River sighed and sat up, "I should go." She said.

"Why?" Mathias finally opened his eyes and sitting up to see her tugging off his sweater that covered her T-shirt and pulling her skirt back on.

"I have to pack and stuff," she replied.

"At," he looked at his watch, relaxed it was too dark to see and turned the light on which initially blinded the pair, "three twenty-six in the morning?"

"No. Wait, yes. I leave first thing in the morning." Actually, she didn't plan to but for some reason her heart was telling her to leva the island there and then.

"Where are you going?"

"Umm... Uganda," she lied.

"Uganda? How wonderfully far away from here." He rolled his eyes, "tell me the truth, River."

River looked everywhere but him, "I did! I'm going to Uganda."

"Why then? What is the reason for your trek to Uganda?"

"I'm going because... to see my cousin's dog's girlfriend's cat's uncle's zebra?" She hurried out of the room, Mathias jumping up behind her and following her onto the deck of the boat, they had sailed a little away from shore to settle under the stars and River stood on the edge of the boat.

"The water will be freezing," Mathias claimed, his bare chest gaining goosebumps as he hugged himself to keep warm.

"Look I have to go. End of." Said River.

"Don't be stupid, you'll catch your death." River shook her head and didn't listen, she dove right into the water, resurfacing only to cry out in horror from the temperature. "You're a mad woman!"

Mathias was just about to leap in after her but watched as she swam away, dipping her head beneath the surface only quickly before coming back up for air and gasping in shock from the water.

"River! C'mon, just swim back!" He yelled, his voice echoing across the waters. Thankfully they were not too far from the jetty but still a good two hundred metres. River hauled herself from the water onto the wooden jetty and collapsed in exhaustion and coldness. She was shaking like mad, her breath balling in the air. "Are you okay?" Mathias called out.

She raised her arm and held her thumbs up.

Mathias sighed, running his hand through his hair and returned into the warmth below deck. Clearly there was no way of getting the woman to change her mind, such a stubborn lady! River on the other hand, dragged her soggy self up and dropped all the way back to the farmhouse. Stripping down she snuggled up in some warm clothes under the duvet of her bed which still smelt fragrantly of Bill.

She was leaving tomorrow.

That was for sure.

A/n-
The ending of this chapter was so rushed. Many apologies.
What do y'all want to happen next? I'm curious to see if it follows my original plans. (The next chapter is already written)