28

Chapter 28: Is It Enough?

═════ 👑 ═════

~(Y/N)~

Looking behind the curtain at the dancing people I waited for the time when my mother would announce me. "He's not there." My mother says I glance back at her.

"Oh I know he's no her- Who's not here mother?" I ask as I look back out at the crowd.

"A remarkable young man who gave me your necklace...and restored you to me," she says.

"No, he's probably out spending his reward money as fast as he can," I tell her.

There was a moment of silence before my mother extends her hand out. "Look at them dance..you were born into this world of glittering jewels and fine titles...But I wonder if this is what you really want," she says I turn to her and she looks at me with an understanding smile.

"Of course, of course, it is. I found what I was looking for." I stop and turn away releasing the curtain. I walk back a little and she follows. "I found out who I am, I found you," I say.

"Yes you did find me...and you'll always have me," she responds, I spin around to face her, her smile still holding. She opens her arms out to me welcoming me with a tender hug. "But is it enough?" she then asks.

There was a moment of silence as we hugged. I didn't want to lose her again, I had spent so many years wondering. And if it hadn't been for Kostina I would've still been lost wondering who my real family was, still stuck on that island. "My sweetheart...he didn't take the money," she says as she steps away releasing me from her grasp.

"He didn't?" I ask. But I thought-

"Knowing that you are alive, seeing the woman you have become brings me joy I never thought I'd feel again," she says, her hands rest on my shoulders and she jumps up placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. Walking away after she goes back to the curtains this time getting ready to go out.

I stood there with my back to her contemplating now knowing the truth about Levi. "Whatever you choose, we will always have each other," she says. I took a moment thinking.

"Mother can't you tell me the-" I spin around finding she had already left. Walking back up to the curtains I open them slightly looking out once more. I take a step forward but stop. Do I really want this? What if there is a chance that I-

All thoughts top as I take a step back and hear something crash from behind me. Confused I follow the sound now disregarding the party. I walk out into the gardens behind the estate. I see a dark figure walk into the shrub maze, cautiously I follow. It was pretty stupid but I was curious to see who it could be. Erwin was back inside watching over my mother. Turning the corner I stop when I find the figure right there at the end of the path leading into the next area.

Confused I step forward only to be grabbed from behind. Before I could let out a screaming warning anyone nearby my mouth was covered. And...there was a chemically smell to the cloth. Within a matter of seconds of being smothered, my eyes roll to the back of my head and everything turns black.

~Darius~

I waited in a car behind (M/N)'s estate. She would be too busy along with the guard to keep watch over her daughter. But looking out the window I watch as a figure came up holding a body. Finally. Opening the door the man lifts the unconscious girl into the back and I assist in setting her on the seat across from me.

Her hair elegantly fell over her neck and onto the seat. I smirk at the sight before me as I sit back. "Now that wasn't so hard now was it?" I ask turning to the man who brought the Princess. He shook his head and smiles gently.

"No Your Majesty," he answers softly.

"Take us back to the hotel, I don't want to spend another day in this town. I have wedding plans to conjure up." I inform the driver.

"Yes, My Lord," he answers softly before driving off. Turning my attention back to the Princess, I smirk to myself upon thinking of her as my Queen. With this plan in motion, I should have Anari in no time.

═════ 👑 ═════