26

Chapter 26: Change of Heart

═════ 👑 ═════

~(Y/N)~

I stood there in the dress for tonight's ball where I would be presented before the people. Hanji was by my side, same as Erwin. They would both now be here to stay. Erwin was now a royal guard sworn to protect me, and Hanji became my handmaid. They both agreed after the Queen suggested it as their reward.

They would be paid accordingly and I'd be able to spend time with them. As for Levi, they told me he quit just last night after returning to their hotel. But, I knew I'd see him one last time before his inevitable departure. I turn upon hearing the door open and my body freezes at the sight of Levi walking in. My smile drops as we look at each other for a moment.

Then turning away from him I look back at the mirror admiring the dress.

~Levi~

She looked, elegant. Beautiful as always but now she no longer smiled at me, or had any warmth in her eyes when she looked at me. Turning away I head up the stairs following the butler, he led me to the Queen's office where I assumed she had my reward for me.

Once entering the door shuts and I stand there looking at the woman silently. I dip down into a bow, standing up straight I let out a sigh. "You sent for me your majesty," I announce.

Her hand extends over to the box with the money. "The money as promised along with my gratitude," she says.

I let out another soft huff. "I accept your gratitude...but I don't want your money," I tell her. She smiles gently as she steps closer.

"And what do you want?" she asks me.

"Unfortunately nothing you can give," I say, I wanted this meeting to be quick so I could catch a train. I bow once more before looking at her for a moment longer. I turn away ready to walk to the door.

"Young man...why is it that you've saved my daughter during the invasion...restore her to me but you wish for no reward?" she asks. She circles around me trying to see my face, but I turn away again.

"Not anymore," I answer.

"Why the change of mind?" she asks.

I shake my head now looking down at the floor. "It was more a change of heart," I answer honestly. "I should go," I mumble then bow to her once more. After that, I left this time for sure with no one to hold me back. Exiting her office I quickly walk down the hall and come to the flight of stairs.

Keeping my eyes locked to the stairs I quickly walk down. "Hello Levi." a familiar voice calls. I glance up finding (Y/N) a few stairs up now standing beside me.

"Hello." I greet.

"Did you collect your reward?" she asks a look of disappointment written on her face.

"My business is complete-"

"Young man, you will bow and address the Princess as 'Your Highness.'" the butler corrects me.

(Y/N) and I glance at each other before she looks down at the old man, holding her hand out she then says, "No that's not necessar-"

"Please...Your Highness." I saw holding up my hand to hush her, I bow to her just as the man instructed. "I'm glad you found what you were looking for," I mention.

She glares softly at me. "Yes, I'm glad you did too," she says.

There was a brief moment of silence as we stared at each other. "Well then. Goodbye, Your Highness." I say before dipping into another bow. As I come back up my eyes scan over her one last time knowing, this would be the last time I'd ever see her again. Then with that, I took my leave and quickly, but instead stopped in one of the rooms to say goodbye to Hanji and Erwin. Mikasa would be coming with me, I guess.

═════ 👑 ═════