25

Chapter 25: Quitting

═════ 👑 ═════

~Darius~

Cursing with anger, I crumble the letter given to me by my servant. It was a letter from the assassin I hired that was supposed to be the best of the best. It seemed as though she could not go through with her actions, and had little explanation as to why that was.

I rise from my seat as the servant watches in fear. "I want to be on the next ship out of here and to Anari. I'm gonna have to do it myself it looks like. Imbeciles." I growl. Walking down the steps and onto the red carpet, I made my way out of the throne room.

Pacing through the dark halls only lit by a few torches, I was going to my room to pack some things. Like they say if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself it seems. Anari will be mine and I'll do just about anything to make sure I get it.

~Levi~

Outside the hotel, I looked up at the window. They had been in there for a while, I assume the pieces finally clicked. I take a step back and let out a curt sigh, then pivoting to the right I walk up the sidewalk.

When I enter the shared hotel room with Hanji and Erwin they both were sat on the bed, seeming as if they had been waiting for me. "Where were you?" Hanji asks as she gets up.

"Finishing the job," I answer as I set my coat on the bed.

Erwin turns to me, a stern look on his face. "Did you tell her?" he asks.

"I didn't have to, she heard the queen calling me out...then I sort of took the queen to her hotel," I answer.

"I see, well before we leave then I'd like to-"

"I quit." I blurt out.

They both look at me in shock, but it was true. I didn't want to do this anymore, the money no longer interested me. I hate to admit it but...I had fallen for someone I know I could never have. And she'll never know how I felt now. "Levi-"

I raise my hand hushing them. "My word is final, you guys can take my share. I don't want it...after tomorrow we will be going our separate ways." I inform them.

Their expressions soften as they walk up to me. "Are you sure?" Hanji asks.

I nod my head. "I'm sure," I answer.

Both of their shoulders slump and I turn to walk out the door for a little while. On my way out my cousin, Mikasa comes after me.

~Hanji~

Mikasa went after him after being silent all this time. Through all the years of us conning people, I never thought Levi would quit out of love. But I guess (N/N)- no Princess (Y/N) now, really opened his eyes.

"I guess that's it...tomorrow you and I will go collect our reward and get out of here okay?" Erwin asks.

I nod my head still feeling like leaving Levi behind was wrong. "Just feels weird now...I didn't think-"

"Well it's his choice, and if he comes back then that's fine too," Erwin reassures.

~(Y/N)~

My mother insisted I come stay with her. The home wasn't the palace but it was just as grand. In her room, after changing into silk pajamas provided by her I walk in finding her going through a box of things.

It was a box of knick-knacks. Old objects from the castle, like my...my doll I use to cart around when I was little. "My..." I trail off as I take the small doll into hands.

My mother chuckles. "I remember you wouldn't let anyone touch it. You were so attached to it," she says with a soft smile.

"I remember...really you should've taken it from me to get it clean though mother," I say as I set it back in the box. She chuckles at my response before sifting through more things. That was until she found one of my drawings.

"Oh look," she says.

I take the drawing into my hand, it was stick figures of me, my mother and father. I smile as my free hand runs over the image. Things were so simple then. The more time spent with my mother, the more memories started to come back.

And I finally knew who the old lady who found and took care of me was. Kostina was a woman who worked at the castle who served as my caretaker. I remember seeing her around the palace and she'd sometimes walk me to the library when I started schooling. My mother stands up from her seat and walks up to me. "I'm so glad you're alright, I must admit though, I had grown tired of looking...I was going to accept the fact that you had died during the invasion...tomorrow I will be inviting the people who brought you back to me...give them their reward," she says.

"Even after trying to-"

"I wouldn't say it was conning anymore since you are my daughter. And the heir to the Anarian throne...and their good deeds shouldn't go without a reward regardless of their intentions in the beginning," she says.

I sigh and nod in agreement although I was still hurt at the fact they all lied to me. Used me to get her money. I force a smile before she pulls me in for a tight hug.

═════ 👑 ═════