Chapter 4

"How can I help you two?" I said turning towards Batman and Robin. "We just need to talk." Batman said while placing a hand on his utility belt. "Okay, but not here. The police should be here soon to pick these two up." I said turning towards the robbers. The sound of sirens came to our ears. We waited for the police to arrive before leaving. The two heroes grabbed their grappling hooks from their utility belts, and launched them into the air. I followed them to the top of a tall building using my flying abilities. "Who are you." Batman said with a stern expression and soon as I landed. I crossed my arms over my chest: " You expected me to answer that? That's like me forcing you to tell me who the two of you are." I responded slyly. Robin looked at Batman, "He's got a point." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. "Fine, do you swear to protect earth as long as you are a vigilante?" Batman said, "Yes." I responded with a little shock from the question. I opened my mouth to speak but closed it quickly, feeling her want to take control. "I need to go." I said while turning to leave. My body started to tremble. " Nightslash, can you explain what is happening to yourself right now?" Batman asked while taking a step towards me. "No." I forced the word out through the pain. "No, you can't or no you won't?" Batman said sounding a little concerned. "N- no." I forced out again, my body was shaking more violently now. I teleported away just before I blacked out.

I woke up standing over a man, he was shaking terribly. "P- please don't hurt me!" He squeaked. " I won't hurt you, just take your soul. I will be quick and easy," she said through her jagged fangs. "No!" I yelled, as she raised her claw. She brought it down hard, but something stopped it. Her other claw was pure white, and it now had a smooth texture to it instead of ruff scales. I had full control over the arm, I pushed hers back with force. The guy got up and ran, while we stood there trying to figure out what had just happened. I could feel that she was scared of me now. She let go of her control. I shifted into our short blond school girl. I fell onto my knees, and looked down at my lap. My head was spinning and I felt really tired, my eyes fluttered closed.

I heard a voice call my name, I opened my eyes to see my mother over my body. She was crying, she grabbed my hand and pulled me onto my feet. The room flickered with a yellow light, I could hear yelling and shouting. A small feline creature followed close behind us as I was rushed down a long hall. The walls seamed to shake while we ran. Just then a support beam fell in front of us, throwing us across the ground. My mother's voice echoed in my head as my eyes drifted close.

I was woken up by someone shaking me, "What the-" I said open my eyes to see Wally standing over me. "Hey," he said smiling with relief, "how did you get out here?" He extended his hand to help me up. " I don't know." I said taking his hand, he easily pulled me up. I stood their trying to remember what happened, and how I got there. We were standing in Gotham park. " Are you all right? You seem confused." Wally asked. " I'm fine Wally, just a little shaken. That's all." I said with a little smile. He slipped off his jacket and placed it over my shoulders, I looked up at him confused. "Your shivering and not wearing a coat." He said noticing my facial expression. "What about you, won't you be cold?" I asked, "I'll be fine, however we are going to be late for school if we stand around much longer." He said while offering me his arm. I took it and we began to walk.

We entered the school just before the bell rang, I handed Wally his coat back. "Thanks." I said smiling. "No problem, see you later." He waved as he walked away. Later that day I was leaving for lunch, when I saw Wally heading outside. He was talking to someone on his phone, " She said that she didn't know what happened, but she was laying there in the middle of the park by herself." He said while walking around the corner. I followed him slowly and carefully. "Ya, she didn't look hurt." He leaned up against the wall of the school, glancing around to see if he had been followed. Which he had, but he didn't know that. "Dick don't worry about it, I will make sure she gets home safely today." He rolled his eyes at something Dick had said and smiled, " Okay, I need to get going. See you tonight." He put his phone in his pocket and started to walk back to the school entrance. I ran to the doors trying to make it seem like I was just getting back to the school.

I had just grabbed the door handle when Wally came up behind me, "Hey, I was just looking for you." He smiled. "Really, what for?" I asked pretending to be surprised. "I just want to talk for a bit." He said while grabbing my hands. He walked me to a small coffee shop down the street. We sat down at a table, he sat across from me. It was a little obvious that he didn't know what to say. " Look, I really don't know how I ended up in the park." I said trying to help him out. He looked up to meet my eyes. "I just want to help Sapphire." He took my hand in his, smoothly moving the pad of his thumb over the top of my hand. He looked over the top of my head, and let go of my hand. I started to turn to see why when Dick strode over to our table.

He sat himself next to Wally, "I need to to answer some questions." He said while leaning back into the chair. Wally's jaw hit the floor, "You just straight up said that." Wally said after picking up his jaw off the floor. Dick made no movement, he just stared at me. "What kind of questions?" I asked. But I already knew the answer. "Did you go straight home after school yesterday?" He said leaning onto the table. "Yes." I lied. He can't know the truth, not yet at least. "Do you know anyone that would want to harm you?" " No, I just moved here a few weeks ago. I don't know many people yet." I said starting to feel uncomfortable. "Do you know of any psychological problems you have?" "Dude!" Wally nearly yelled. "You don't just ask someone that!" Wally said running is hand through his hair stressfully. "No." I said nonchalant standing up and walking away.

I finally finished school. I headed outside to find Wally once again standing out side waiting for me. I tried to avoid him by walking quickly behind a large group of people, but Wally found me. "Hey, I just wanted to apologize for what happened at lunch." He said awkwardly running his hands through his hair. "It's okay Wally. It wasn't your fault." I said as kindly as I can. "It kind was, I brought you to the café. I could have told Dick I wouldn't do it, but he insisted." Wally said as he started to pace. Wally continued to pace and talk about what Dick said on the phone. "Wally?" I said trying to get his attention, "Wally?" I said a little louder. "Wally!" I said almost shouting, he stopped pacing. "Yes?" He said confused, "I forgive you." I said smiling and tilting my head a little. He quickly wrapped my in his arms, I was very confused about this kind of human contact. But it felt nice, I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him lightly. We let go of each other. "Wally?"

A girl with brown hair, and a boy with bright blue eyes came up behind Wally. He turned to greet them. "Hey guys, I haven't seen you two around school very much!" Wally said excitedly. I stared at the ground awkwardly. Maybe if I walk away they won't notice. No, that rude. "This is Sapphire, she moved here a few weeks ago." Wally said as he moved to stand beside me. "Oh, that's your name. We are both on the cheer team!" The girl said wrapping her arms around me. "Uhh, ya." I said trying not to sound uncomfortable. She let go of me, and grabbed my hand shaking it up and down. "I'm Megan!" She said excitedly. "This is Connor!" She said stepping to the side obviously trying to get him to say something to me. He looked a my then looked away. I just smiled then and looked at Wally. "I have to get going, see you guys later." I said as I waved goodbye. "Wait, can I walk you home?" Wally called after me. "No thanks, see you tomorrow." I shouted over my shoulder.

Having a little company on the long walk would have been nice. But I don't have a home, I haven't in years. I would buy one, but I don't have Earth money to buy one. Nor do I know how to buy things. Luckily I don't need to eat food on a regular basis, I haven't eaten in weeks. I'm not sure what is food here and what isn't, everything looks weird and non edible. So not having anywhere to sleep; the nights I don't want to fight crime, I just transform into a squirrel and curl up in a tree in the park. My tail keeps me warm for the most part.

Once I got to the park I made sure nobody was around, and shifted into a squirrel and climbed up a tall tree. I crawled into a small hole and curled up into a ball, closing my eyes.