Chapter 24

As we sped into the action, people dressed in ridiculous outfits opened fire on us. The Batmobile took lots of hits as we drove into the bullets. "Now." Batman said lowly and I pressed my favourite blue button. The car launched two small missals that exploded the ground around the Joker's goons. Sending men flying through the air. The corners of my mouth curled slightly. "Wipe that smile off your face." Batman sighed as we drove into the fiery smoke. My small grin vanished quickly. We hopped out the car and looked for a way into the club. I noticed that only two guys were watching the entrance, "Should we just walk in?" I questioned as I nodded towards the door. "To easy, there's a window up there-" he pointed out, "we can enter through there." He said approaching the building, "Just thought we  could try something different." I shrugged.

I followed him to the window as we avoided the guard's attention. "It's unlocked." I pointed out a little stunned. Batman went quiet as he peered inside. "He's just sitting there." Batman said breaking the silence. "Harley?" I asked. "Not sure." He mumbled. "There's a lot of people in there." I said acknowledging the hostages and more of Joker's men. Batman opened the window silently, I followed him in not making any sound. We watched from above trying to figure out Joker's plan and Harley's whereabouts. Joker approached a man and held a gun to his head. "You were dancing with my Muffintop," he sneered, "you will have to pay for that." Joker smiled as his finger stared to squeeze the trigger.

I leaped down, nocking the gun out of his hand. Joker's Men fixated their gun on me, while Joker mockingly clapped his hands. "Well what do we have here? Little Boy Wonder here to save the day." He smiled. I stood myself between him and the hostages. "No offence kid, I was expecting someone taller." He laughed, taking out another gun and pointed it at me. "How about a bat?" A low voice sounded from behind the Joker. Batman, right on cue. "Batman! Why do you always have to sneak up on people?" Joker fussed, "It's rude you know." He continued. "Give it up joker." Batman and I said in unison. "Oh Batsy, if I give up we never get to play." Joker smiled, "Get em boys." Joker said before bursting out in his psychotic laughter.

His men went crazy, throwing kicks and punches whenever they could. We moved swiftly between them, making Joker's goons knock each other out. We were down to the last few when Joker grabbed a hostage and helped his favorite purple gun to her head. Everyone froze, my blood ran cold as a chilling wind brushed against me. "I don't know what game your playing at Bat, but I don't like it." Joker frowned, his hand uneasy on the gun. Harley was standing behind him, when did she get here? Why does she look like she saw a ghost? "What are you talking about Joker?" I asked with a sigh at the end. Your wrecking my mojo here. "Well, why don't you turn around and talk to your little friends." Joker said motioning behind us. We stood there unsure of what to do, until I saw a dark figure out of the corner of my eye. I turned around followed by Batman, to find two large dark shadows. Their smiles made my blood curdle. In unison, they reached out with their shadowy claws, then the lights went out. Joker and a few others swore, then the lights were back. And I found myself alone with the two shadows.

They smiled cunningly, their dark teeth appearing solid and sharp. I pulled out my staff, readying myself for their attack. They growled and charged. I dogged one but the other delivered a hard blow to my chest. Sending me backwards and nocking the wind out of me. They can touch me? I thought as I stood up, catching my breath. I quickly kicked out towards the movement behind me, striking one of the shadows. It hissed angrily, "Not good!" I Blurted out unintentionally. I looked around the room for my staff, noticing I had dropped it. Bingo, it was across the room me hind the two shadows. Okay, not fair. One charged I jumped high, dodging the monster-like shadow. I continued to run towards my staff, the second shadow blocking my path. I glared at it as I continued to run, it clawed at me upon approach. I dropped to my knees, sliding under it's large claws. I planted my hand to turn myself to face the monsteras thing as I continued to slide across the floor to my staff. I picked it up with a smile. The shadow growled at me, "Boom." I said calmly right before it burst into flames. The monster's growl turned into a wail of pain.

The smoke quickly cleared, revealing two shadows. Dang it. "What will it take to actually hurt you?" I asked rhetorically. They flashed me their toothy grins. Suddenly there was a thud behind me, making me freeze. I stood there watching the shadows, not wanting to take my eyes off of them or face what was lurking behind me. Then his voice came breaking the silence, "Are you just going to stand there frozen like Mr. Freeze?" Bruce. I readied my staff, "Lets do this." I smiled at the shadows. They still looked shocked as they stared at Batman and me. Batman and I charged at the monsters. Both shadow and human delivering blows. Until, I punched one of the shadows... it morphed around my hand. Making my hand go right through it and it returned to its solid form, trapping my hand inside it. I kicked at it, and used my other hand to hit it with my staff. But nothing happened, I looked over at Batman he was trapped as well.

The shadow grabbed my other arm and started to pull it away from it, sending a horrible pain through my arm. I yelled out in pain, panic spreading through me. I was about to give up when a ball of fiery white light appeared in the middle of the room. The monsters froze, give Batman and I a chance to recover our strength and the feeling in our arms. The light just floated in the air, not moving or making any noise. I took their distraction as a chance to escape, I pulled at my trapped arm as hard as I could. The only this that happened was the shadow's attention returned to me. It clawed at me, tearing my suit and shredding my flesh. I screamed in agony, tears filling my eyes. The world went fuzzy as I lost blood, Batman cried out in pain somewhere in the background of the monsters growling. The light burst into action striking the shadows that held me captive in its chest. The shadow burst into a black and white fire, as it turned into ash at my feet.

I looked down at my freed arm, surprised at the fact that the fire didn't hurt me. I looked over at Batman, the shadow released his arm and backed away. The ball of light flew towards me slowly, a smaller ball of light was released from it. The tiny light floated towards me and touched my side, it disappeared into my wound. I watched in amazement as the wound quickly started to heal. The fiery light floated towards Batman, the shadow shrinking back in fear. It also gave Batman a small orb to heal him. The light began to grow larger and brighter, Batman and I both raised our hands to shield our eyes. The shadow wined and vanished with a puff of smoke. The light dimmed and vanished. I placed a hand to my head, trying to numb the pain. It was spinning out of confusion and blood loss. I looked over to Batman, "What was that?" He asked a little stunned. "I have no idea." I answered.

Just then my wrist started to vibrate, Sapphire. I forgot about Sapphire! I answered the call to hear a panicked Megan started to yell at me, "Where are you? You were supposed to be here almost two hours ago!" She barked. "I uh, got caught up with something. I'll be there soon." I said before hanging up so she couldn't yell at me any more. "Your late?" Batman questioned, I rolled my eyes. "Yes I'm late, but if you haven't noticed I was a little busy." Growled playfully. "Let's go." He sighed.