Chapter 26

"Nooo!" Hearing my own voice surprised me, not as much as a panicked Robin bursting through my door. He started to speak but Cortanna's shadows were right behind him, they had their orders. "Duck!" I yelled as I thrusted my hand forward. Dick ducked low to the ground as a blast of fiery light exploded from the palm of my hand. The shadows were engulfed in the white flames, they vaporized into dark ash. Robin and I looked at each other, then back at the pile of ash. My head started to spin from the sudden burst of energy, I laid back on the pillow. "Wo, wo, wo... easy there." He said gently as helped me lie down. His fingers were warm as they brushed my hair out of my face. "You really know how to scare someone don't you?" He laughed quietly. "You are the one who almost died twice in the span of two hours." I smiled as I opened my eyes to look at him. "How did you..." He paused, his confused expression changed to realization. "You were the light... weren't you?" His blue eyes burning into mine. I smiled, "Yah. I'm sorry I couldn't be there sooner, it's kinda hard to save your teammate while in a comma." Dick smiled at me, something about it made me feel like that smile was only meant for me.

Dick turned to the night stand and opens the drawers, he pulled out some gauze and medical-tape. "Let's take a look at that gash of yours." He said motioning to my side. I pushed down the blanket, and looked down at my side. I must have made a face because Dick asked me a question, "Is something wrong?" "No. Its just I didn't realize that I'm still in my suit. And that I didn't automatically stitch it together again." I said as I touched the ripped material. "Yah, I decided that would be the best call. That way you keep your identity... and no one wanted to deal with your wrath when you woke up and found out." He smiled. "Yah, good call. Someone might have died when I found out." I laughed along. "So, you and Batman are really into the whole secret identity thing. Why?" I said try to change the subject. Dick removed my old bandages which revealed a large wound. My blood was clotting and scabs were developing where the wound was shallow. "Let's just say Batman's cool gadgets don't appear out of mid air. He has to make money some how with out  the Joker or Two-face getting in the way." He shrugged, I nodded. "What about you... why do you hide?"

I swallowed the sudden lump in my throat. "I'm not sure..." I said quietly as I looked away from him. "I'm not sure if I'm hiding from someone or... myself." Dick went quiet and he stopped working. "I'm still not sure who I am, where I came from or who I'm supposed to be. I don't know what to do with myself. I keep hurting those who I care about and get pushed away, always running from those who have turned their backs on me." I paused needing a second to collect my thoughts. "I have powers, powers even I can't control. I'm worried that one day I won't be able to hold them in, I'll... kill someone." My words were starting to shake. Dick took my hand, sending shivers up my arm and down my spine. I look over at him, his smile faint but still there. "I can't keep every promise, but I know I can keep this one... I will never turn my back on you. That's a promise." His eyes had determination and promise in them. "Thanks." I said believing him, I better not regret trusting you Dick Grayson.

Robin finished cleaning and patching me up, then helped me walk to training room. We walked in just in time for us to see Wally get kicked to the by Black Canary. I shook my my head at the sight, "I don't remember that ugly throw rug being there." I smiled. Wally's head snapped in my direction, "You're awake?" He smiled as he rushed over. "You came back? I thought you weren't supposed to come back till tomorrow." I smiled as I gently punched his shoulder. "Yah, Canary called me in for last minuet training. I was going to visit you when I was done." He smiled. "Waite... did you just call me an ugly throw rug?" "So much for super speed." I laughed. "Hey, no one said he was super smart." Robin chimed in. The room burst into laughter, including Wally. My laughter was cut short by a pain in my side, I held my free hand to my side. That grabbed Canary's attention, "Your hurt." She said cutting off everyones laughter. Everyone stared at me, "I will be fine, it's just a scratch." I said trying to ease everyone's concern. "Yah, a scratch that left you bleeding out on the docks." Wally said shaking his head sarcastically. "What really happened?" Megan spoke up, asking the question everyone wanted to know the answer too.

"Nothing, the-" I stared but stopped when Batman walked in. The room fell quiet. He walked over to Robin and I, his footsteps were heavier than usual. He was mad. "You were supposed to call me as soon as she woke up." He said in a demanding tone, barely even raising his voice. "She just woke up." Robin said grumpily. "You. Come with me." He demanded as he shot me a look. I removed my arm from Dick's shoulders, and regained my balance before I followed him. We walked into the conference room and he locked the door behind us. We sat down across from each other. "Where were you when the monster started rampage?" He said frustrated. I looked down at the floor, trying to come up with something. "Where were you!" He yelled, making me jump a little. "I'm sorry." I mumbled. Batman sighed, allowing both of us to relax a bit. "I had a stressful night." He mumbled, "I know... I... I was there." I said as I looked up at him.

He looked confused, I raised my hand. A ball of fiery white light appeared, "I sent this to help you." I closed my fist, and the light disappeared. He let out a deep exhale, "Thank you." His voice was more gentle than usual, but still firm. I nodded in response. "Can we try this conversation over?" He asked as he readjusted his seat. A small smile crept to the corner of my mouth, "Yah." "Alright then, where were you before the monster appeared?" He asked in a calm collected voice. "Temporary hold at Gotham's main police station." I said sitting up more in my chair. "Doing what?" "Questioning two robbers I caught earlier." I responded. "After that?" He asked, "Chased down the monster." I shrugged. Technically that wasn't a lie, I just left out the details. "That's it? Just chased it down?" He quizzed, "Yah, pretty much. Chased it to the docks, fought it, won." I was starting to get uncomfortable in my seat. What if he finds out? What if he prisons me? What if- "Is there something your not telling me?" I froze, "What?" I asked like I was confused. "You look nervous, I didn't think you were the nervous type." His low voice was bounced off the walls in a small echo. "I'm not used to being interrogated."  I shrugged. "I have interrogated you before, why the sudden change?" He questioned. "I was interrogating you as well, I had control over what happened. And got the information I needed." I smiled. Batman looked into my eyes, his were clouded with surprise.

"What information did you obtain?" He asked a little concerned. "Who you are, and how to read you emotions and thoughts without having to look into your mind." I smiled slyly. He opened his mouth to speak, but I already knew what he was going to say. "Your real name is Bruce Wane, you are the CEO of Wane enterprise. Your favourite colour is red but you prefer to work in black, because you think it's more masculine and sliming.  Your favourite food is mulligatawny, courtesy of you beloved butler Alfred. Who raised you, after..." I stoped not wanting to continue that last sentence. Bruce's expression was nowhere to be seen, almost as if he was in shock. "Too much?" I asked trying to grab his attention. His eyes locked with mine. They were a mixture emotions, anger, frustration, confusion, surprise, and satisfaction. "You are quite the detective." His voice was kind, in its own bruiting way. "Thank you."