Chapter 35

ADITI

It's hard to break someone's heart and apparently I had become one of them to have crushed someone's hopes, trust and their heart. Its been three years and I still can't get over him. I am in New York living with Ishika my colleague in a two bedroom apartment. I now work as the marketing head of Coxkins. Which has its own cosmetic line manufactures.Ltd For the past three years Ishika has tried to set me up with multiples men yet I have found none like him.

"Great! Boss wants us early in the morning at his cabin...says something urgent."

 I glance at Ishika's reflection in the mirror before me. I nod and brush my hair once again. Ishika walks to me and places her hands on my shoulders. I look at myself in the mirror,dressed in a black dress my hair falls down my elbow and the pearl necklace completes my look perfectly.

I look perfect but yet without his smile and his astonished look I hardly feel beautiful,how much ever I dress up.

"Oh! Come on can you stop thinking about Mr. K again" I just stare blankly at Ishika's drooping shoulders.

" Come on Aditi, every time I try to send you on a nice 'date' that Mr. K whose name I still don't know and all you past long gone love story which I am aware of comes back to your mind." Ishika sighs.

I know what she said is absolutely true however I try to shove the thought at the back of my mind.

"Its nothing like that Ishika." I face her with a forced smile on my face.

"You know you are a pathetic liar, right?"

Ignoring her I walk past her picking up my purse from bed. Silence creeps our apartment and when I glance at Ishika I unexpectedly find her in a deep thought. She just stands against one of the walls constantly staring at the white floor. Suddenly she just looks up at me with a straight face.

 "What?" I try to bring a short smile on my face.

"Why don't you go and tell him the truth?" Ishika says taking a step towards me. The forced smile on my face disappears suddenly.

I can't explain myself to Ishika very clearly. I can't tell her the truth that I actually think of this idea every time I think of him but I am just scared of the consequences. I fear what will happen if he gets to know the truth of why I left him.

Well, He probably hates me now. But I have keep my sadness to myself I can't let Ishika's efforts to make me happy go in waste.

Giving a short smile, I tend to tell her that I am fine and that I will okay soon as time passes but none of this comes out of my mouth but I just say, "I'll be off for my date."

I don't turn back and walk straight out of the house shutting the door behind me.

Now once again for the 27th time I am seated in an extravagant multi cuisine restaurant with some workaholic this time in front of me who is nonstop talking about how he cracked a million dollar deal some time in the past and I just fake a smile. I can hardly bear his nonstop boasting so gulping down water is my best solution.

Looking at his face I just recollect all my past 26 dates in this country. Its quite a hilarious journey actually. Initially I resented dates well, I still do but it's just a thing helping me to distract my mind. I met men with different background but hardly any normal one.

 Some were really cheesy, some workaholic, some with a pathetic sense of humor and some just wanted the girl in the bed. At times I looked at the men from the window of the restaurant or cafe where we have a date and putting them in the type list I even stood some of them up.

Soon the waiter approaches us with the check. My date whose name was Dex took out his credit card from his wallet as he placed it on the table I took out mine too. He looked at me with blank eyes and with a short smile I said, " Oh, don't get me wrong I'd like to pay for half of it."

"No. Being a man I can't allow that." Saying so he pushes my card towards me which pisses me off. Stop his action and pushing it back towards him I say with a fake short smile, " No ,please I insist."

"Pay it next time." He give me a wink.

"Waiter please pay half from this card." I forcefully push my card towards the men and look at Dex I say the same words I have saying to the past dates, "I am sorry I don't think there will be a next time." 

Once again the man before me looks at me astonished with a gaping mouth open.

 "Thank you its been wonderful meeting you hope you have a nice life ahead Dex. Excuse me."

I excuse myself to the restroom abandoning yet another date. As expected after coming out Dex had already left after paying half the bill and I walk out of the restaurant after collecting my card from the cashier.

Heading back home I find Ishika on the couch. Entering I keep my purse on the couch and before I could say a word Ishika spoke up, "Well once again you abandoned him, am I right or.... am I right?"

Shoulders drooping I sit beside her without an answer and I guess she took the hint. "Oh... Ishi..." I began but she interrupted me. " Never mind... lets go for a girl's night out. "

"Definitely!" I say with a smile and so we head out for our favorite burger king as usual.