Chapter 24

Salwar suit- a traditional Indian dress; 'Di' - The elder maid (Neena)is called as 'Di'

************

ADITI

"Great! What am I supposed to do now?" I talk to myself as I lie on the bed.

 Suddenly I hear some commotion from outside. I get up and walk up to the balcony. The balcony faces a huge garden with a fountain at the center and beautiful flowers all around. The garden seems to be well maintained but not a single person around. Where is this noise coming from?

Out of the premises I see a van of paparazzi pass by. "How does it matter!" I hear Kabir's voice. What is happening?Crossing a jute swing chair and some other sittings I walk to the main door of the room.Silently I open the door and peep out of the room. There isn't a person around so with small steps I walk out of the room. 

Two steps front and I get a whole view of the living room. There is an old lady sitting on the sofa, a boy of about our age with headphones on standing at far end of the hall along with a healthy lady beside him. There is Kabir with a frown at the center of the hall and a man dressed in a grey suit facing his back to everyone else. 

"Harsh is right Kabir. It's my decision too and that's final." The old lady says.

"But...." Kabir begins but is cut off by a hoarse voice.

 "No one means no one. Don't be selfish Kabir. Think about the business." The man in grey suit turns around. He is so similar to Kabir.He must be his father. " Selfish? Seriously ? You are telling me this?" Kabir snaps raising his eyebrows.

"Kabir! Behave yourself." The old lady scolds Kabir with a stern look. I see the other boy with headphones on and the lady beside her uninterested in the conversation.Kabir is fuming and turns around. I quickly rush back to the room and wait for Kabir to come up and explain me things. I don't want him to think that I was eavesdropping.

Soon Kabir enters with a face of distaste. For a moment when he saw me sitting he has a confused look on his face. I guess he had forgotten that I was back in his room. I stand awkwardly waiting for him to speak. He brushes his hand through his hair and with a sigh sits next to me. I sit back on the bed and look at him intently trying to read his face but can get nothing.

Clearing his throat he begins, " The thing is...we won't be able to go to Rishikesh." His words were like a thunder to my ears. 

"Why?" I say getting panicky.

"Relax." He shows me his palms but he doesn't understand my situation.

"No I can't relax.But why can't we go?" I blurt out.

"There is this case going on against our company due to the death of one of our worker in our factory. The paparazzi is after us and the other workers are on a protest so its not safe for us to go out of the house until the next hearing." Kabir tries to explain me but I have just one thing in my mind that I have no place to live at present and I can't afford hotel room.

"No one can go out even the staff and no one is allowed to come in the premises too because its a very high profile case so no paparazzi or any other business associate is to come in contact with any of the member." Kabir continues.

"When can we get out now?" I ask playing with the hem of my dress.

"After six days .The hearing at the court is on that day."

I face palm myself. Great! Now I am stuck with Kabir at his house. Destiny can be funny with me, but I hate such jokes! Please someone tell me it's a dream! I beg the Heaven but nothing changes. Well if I have to bear Kabir then I must make up my mind.

" I don't have any clothes."

"Oh yeah,that.... Neena our house maid had gone to get grosery for a week so tell her what you need." Kabir says and dialing ' Neena' speaks on the phone, "Di get what my...friend tells and don't tell about her to anyone.Talk to her."

I grab the phone and a sweet lady speaks from the other side. I tell her that I need clothes and undergarments because I have none. She just asks me my size and if I mind wearing salwar suit or traditional clothes and I reply to the negative. Abruptly she cuts the call thereafter.

Kabir snatches away his black iphone from my hand and I am even unable to see his wallpaper. "So.... What now?" I ask as he pushes his phone in his pockets.

"You wait I will get breakfast in the room." Saying so he turns around to open the door.

"Kabir." I stop him at his tracks. He turns around and raises his eyebrows. I notice his messy hair and instantly fumbles with my words. "Um...Um..I ..I am a....vegetarian." Finally I say.

"Me too" He says with a short smile and walks out of the room.

He genuinely smiled! I am actually very hungry.Maybe he isn't that bad, just tough on outside and sweet inside! 'Selfish!' Kabir's words play in my mind. Why would he call his father so selfish? I sigh and decide to leave the issue at present.
"So this is my life for the next six days!" I say aloud to myself as I turn around. While Kabir is not around I take the opportunity to explore the room.

Standing at the grey door when I turn around I get a panoramic view of the huge room. There is another grey double door which now I know leads to the bathroom and beside which is a glass door. I wonder where it leads to? My gaze move to the huge balcony through white wooden double doors with glass insert and I see the white muslin and net curtains dancing happily with the wind. The balcony lets in ample amount to light in the room. 

It's now that I notice that the roof is slant and with white wooden ceiling. Its a light brown wooden flooring underneath my feet. I remember seeing a awing chair in the balcony. I have never sat in one before.Must be quite fun. The hunger is killing me! I let out a breath.

Bouncing on my toes I walk up to the book shelf beside the balcony door. It's raw wooden boards forming check boxes full of books and various awards and medals. Kabir was actually a scholar at school! Impressive!I see trophies for 'First in Swimming', ' International Young Mind's Summit' and various other medals for basketball, Business Olympiad and even for 'Inspiring Entrepreneurship Idea'. The shelf consists of files and books. 

He likes reading. At least we have something in common. The shelf takes up a huge part of the wall, yet the room doesn't end there. There is a white wooden table. His work space! I am surprised that his things are organised. Aditi you must not judge a book by its cover!

There is a pegboard on the wall behind the desk. Some notes regarding the statistics of some sales and some contact numbers are pinned on the board. Busy man! Really hard working! I have a smile on my face. Maybe because of his achievements or his hard working nature. Whatever is the reason - I am impressed!

Further on the right wall there is a huge television, play station and a music system. The area is carpeted here and two bean bags one orange and other brown are situated by my feet. He is definitely so rich, no doubt he carries that arrogant attitude of his!

When will this man come with food? I hug myself and lie on my back on the bed. The moment I hit the bed with a bounce the door opens and I sit up quickly. Wow! It's a double spring mattress! I so much want to jump on it! Will Kabir mind? I think as I see Kabir holding three plates in his hand and he manages to place them on the bed. "Thank God! I was so hungry!" I say with a relief expression. Crawling on the bed to the food I sit by the plates.