Chapter 13

ADITI

The next day Kabir did not show up at the college. No one discussed about him or the last day neither about me and him.

Neither the next day nor the day after.

It's Friday and he's still not there. The rest of them are acting as if it's so normal. Casually sitting at the table I call Manik's name and he turns toward me. Before I could even initiate my question a boy came running in the cafeteria and screamed 'FIGHT!'.

Listening to the word I got up from my seat and went running outside. I didn't bother to see if anyone from the table was following me. I could hear the crowd shouting 'Fight! Fight!' in chorus. Pushing the people aside I made my way into the interior of the crowd.I just hoped that it would be Kabir. Passing through the people I had a smile on my face. My thought process is so fast that I have already imagined Kabir smashing Mayank's face. With all my might I pushed people aside and made my way to the first row of people standing. Desperately my eyes searched for Kabir.

He isn't there. Disappointment took over me. Something inside me died,maybe it was hope.Hope of seeing him again and apologising to him.Hope of finding the nice and sweet Kabir again. My vision became a blur. 

Suddenly all the strength with which I had managed to push people aside was drained. Soon people started to push me and ultimately I managed to get out of the mob. Getting out tears ran down my heated cheeks. I ran to a nearby tree. There was no one around me,yet I could hear the noise from the crowd. I covered my mouth from my hand. Crying profusely ,my eyes started to burn. Sudddenly I felt someone's presence behind me. Aisha. 

I thought to myself. I didn't have the courage to face her.I didn't want her to see me crying like a baby. Between my sobs I managed to speak.

"He isn't there. Ka-Kabir isn't there. I just thought that he would fight and return back....Its all my fault I shouldn't have pushed him to tell me! I-I am so damn selfish! It was my curiosity! Oh god will he even forgive me!" wiping my tears I turn around saying "Aish...."

To my horror it wasn't Aisha standing behind me but he whom I was dying to see. Kabir was standing behind me. I stood there stunned. My lips formed a perfect 'o' and I let out a breath from my mouth. 

For a brief moment he looks at my face and then places his hands in his jeans' pockets. Taking out his white handkerchief with three thin black borders he forwards it towards me. I look at him and find a sincere look on his face. Taking the handkerchief our hands brush past each other and the hanky falls on the ground. I immediately look at him and he says with a smile " Its okay take this one."

Saying this he takes out another identical handkerchief from his pocket. Taking it firmly this time I wipe my cheeks of and smile. " Why are you smiling?" He asks me with a smile.

"Nothing. I was just thinking if you have some trick pants where you carry many hankies. You know like magicians."

He chuckles and says "I wish I could be a magician for you coffee! But I usually carry two hankies.You never know when you need another! Like today."

"True!" I smile and say.Giving him the handkerchief back,he slides it back in his pant pockets.

Then there was an awkward silence. What should I say? Hi? Nah ! Too awkward! Did you see me cry.....No way! Umm.. I am so crazy! We look at each other at the same time and smile awkwardly. 

 "Where...." " It's...." We speak at the same time and then stop speaking at the same time.Soooo awkward!"You wanted to say me something?" He has a smirk on his face which irritates me.