Chapter 20

MEL POV

I wake up with the brightness burning my eyes. I look up recognizing that we were in the hospital room. I slowly turn my head to see Chris asleep on my arm. I don't move. I stay there and pull my other hand to brush his hair.

A doctor walks past and I think he's coming in here but quickly turns the counter to talk to a nurse. I don't remember much from before I woke up, but I try to think about it. All I can remember is the baby shower and having cake.

Then, it hits me there was blood, everywhere. I remember the blood. I look back at Chris and see that his clothes have blood on it. He was covered in blood.

Flashback

Chris POV

"Chelsey go get a doctor!!" I yelled in panic. I knew were only blocks away.

"Kristie just went. Chris, what are you going to do?" Melissa's mom said with tears in her eyes

"That'll take to long. I-I" I stutter overwhelmed and emotional, "I have to take her myself. I can run hospital."

"But, what's wrong?" I heard my father ask as they all hustled near. They stopped dead in their steps seeing the blood. There was a mutter but as the time increased, I grew more impatient.

"She's losing the baby. If we don't get her there soon, we will lose them both!" Everyone is quiet and in mist of fear, I lift her above the ground.

The blood was still flowing rapidaly and it scared me. Every inch of my body shook in terror.

"Careful." I heard my mother say as I stood quickly with Melissa in my arms.

Melissa's eyes were barely opened, and I hoped she was conscious. I kept my eyes on her as I made my way to the door.

"We could take a car." Chelsey said as I reached the door, and I turn slightly to argue.

"It'll be faster if he takes her. Go Chris! We'll be right behind you!" Melissa's mother yelled as I exited the restaurant. I racked my brain, why had I done? Why did I think it would be a good idea to have her moving this late in her pregnancy? Melissa could die. This is all my fault.

"Melissa! Melissa!" I scream which causes her to open her eyes slightly more. I held her tight, making sure I wasn't losing grip. "You have to stay with me, okay can you do that?" I said crying into her arm.

Everyone stared at us as I got closer. I felt their eyes widen as I started to run. I ran with her, hoping, praying that this quick time would help, that it would make a difference, save them both?

"No, Mel, No!" I screamed as her eyes shut. My eyes pooled with tears and I left her body go numb. "You have to stay awake." He pleaded. Her eyes opened again as I saw the hospital just ahead.

"Yeah, you have to stay awake because we're getting married and were going to have our little boy." I feel tears to keep coming down, "You need to stay awake, Mel. Please." I pleaded and I saw that the hospital was just ahead. "all you have to is try." I whispered to her. My head rest against her arm.

Her eyes shut, yet my heart yearned for hope. I looked at the doors and saw nurses and doctors going in and out of the hospital.

"HELP!! HELP!! MY WIFE!! PLEASE!!" I yelled still a block away. They looked at me and came over to me. There was a gurney and suddenly we were going into the hospital.

"She's pregnant and she is bleeding out." I told the people who were helping her. I then grabbed on to her hand as we entered the ER.

"Mel, stay with me." I say looking at her, but her eyes stayed closed. Was she gone?

"We have to get her into surgery. Now." One of the doctors says to the other.

"You can't go past this point, sir." I slowly let go of her hand and stopped. I fell to my knees in desperation. I felt broken.