Chapter 36

MEL POV
I texted Chlyer and she responded that she was at the park. I pleaded her to stay so we could surprise Oliver, and of course as my best friend she obeyed I could tell Chris was anxious to see him, and it made me happy.

He sat in the passenger seat looking out the window. He was deep in thought as his expression stayed blank and emotionless.

"Mel?" I gave him my attention as I kept my eyes on the road "Did you tell him about any of it?" He asked me, referring to the allegations of him cheating. I knew the news I was about to tell him was going to crush him.

"Actually," I said taking a quick glance at him. His disappointed eyes grew when I started talking. "Oliver was told at daycare" He was in completely distressed; I saw it on his face.

"What?!" He voice was mixed with anger and confusion. I grabbed his hand and I felt  him relax a little bit.

"There was reporter that came in. It all happened very quickly." He was holding onto word, "The reporter had told him that you didn't love me or him. He was really upset about it" I took a deep breath as Chris's grip tightened, "They called him an orphan." I looked at Chris when I stopped at a traffic light. He was about to cry.

"It's all my fault." He said getting more upset. His brow lowered in anger.

"Chris. No. It's not."

"Yeah it is, Mel. He was so confused and hurt," He huffed loudly, "God, I hurt both of you. I did this to you, both." I heard the disgust in his voice. "If I was just-" I cut him off hearing enough.

"Were you the one who called him an 'orphan'?" I asked him obviously knowing the answer. "Did you tell him you didn't love him?" I say pausing so he understood what I was saying. He sighed softly. "No, you didn't. When you left you said you loved him and me. And you still do. He knew that. He did." I insisted. "You have to know that what these reporters want is to cause trouble. He told Oliver nothing but words. They meant nothing." I said caressing his hand with my thumb. I took a quick glance at the light. It was still red.

"He knows it's not true?" He asked his voice still low, but unshaken. I paused and thought about what I had said.

"I never told him the accusations." I looked at his dark eyes. "I told him the truth. That you loved him more than anything. But he already knew that." I assured him.

After minutes of driving in silence, I could tell we were very close. I glanced at Chris who had gotten quiet.

"Does he know we're coming?" Chris said becoming less angry.

"No. He is going to be so surprised." I said smiling and starting to drive once the light finally changed to green.

We arrived and parked. Oliver was sitting on a bench next to Chlyer. He must have been tired, because he usually never sat unless we was almost ready to go. We watched him from the car for a little bit before getting out.

Then, when Chris couldn't take waiting anymore, he opened the car door and started walking towards them. I followed him, taking my time. Oliver didn't look our way, so Chris got his attention.

"Hey bud!" He yelled towards Oliver. Oliver whipped his head around showing his excitement since he had recognized the voice.

"Daddy!" He yelled jumping out of his seat and running full speed to Chris. When they met Chris lifted him in the sky and held him close. It was one of the greatest moments I had ever seen.

Two people dying to see each other finally reunited. Chris hugged Oliver for awhile and you could tell Oliver didn't want him to let go. Finally, I had past them and sat down next to Chlyer.

"That was a quick trip." Chlyer said laughing as she softly punched my arm playfully. I chuckled with her.

"Well worth it." I joked back with her, causing us both to laugh harder. Chris reached us with Oliver proudly sitting on his hip. They were both so happy. I could tell Oliver wanted to be no other place than in his dad's arms.

We thanked Chlyer and drove home. Chris asked Oliver lots of questions, and I felt as if I was a chauffeur, but I didn't mind it too much.

It was just about time for Oliver to go to bed, so we got him ready early. Together. It felt so great to be together. It honestly just felt so great not being absolutely hurt or angry. Those few days that I had thought Chris had cheated were the worse days I have ever experienced.

Oliver enjoyed every minute of this. He didn't even complain when he had to go brush his teeth, because Chris went with him. Then, we got him in bed pleasantly. I gave him a kiss, then Chris did. We were about to walk out of his home, when he whispered something just before drifting off.

"I missed this." He smiled as his eyes shut.

"We love you, Oliver." Chris whispered just loud enough for him to hear, then Chris wrapped his arm around my hip and closed the door. Chris and I got into bed shortly after.

Chris put his arm around me like he always had. It was like he never left. For the first time in weeks I didn't fall asleep from crying too much, instead I fell asleep having comfort of mind that my husband was right behind me protecting me and being there with me.