Chapter 46

Mel POV

I felt my body shaking. There was so much commotion outside this door. I hoped that they were just taking what they wanted, and they wouldn't hurt me and most of all Chris and Oliver.

There were steps running everywhere and I tried to shut it all out as if I was somewhere else or shut out all the noise entirely, anything but to hear this and picture what they could be doing.

It felt like hours went by. With time my head and heart were pounding harder and I could barely hear anything nor keep my focus on the door.

Then there was nothing. I heard almost nothing, There was no more obnoxious commotion. My hearing came back very slowly as my heart and head slowed.

I looked up slightly and after a few seconds, I scooted a little closer to the door. I had to see if I could see anything outside. I suddenly see the shadow of steps coming near and I bolt back to the corner. I shut my eyes again praying it will all go away.

I hear muffled voice, but I keep my eyes tightly shut as I tried disparately to listen to whatever this person was saying. I slightly peak out to see if the person was still there after the muffling noise vanished. My eyes barely open saw the person's shadow underneath the door. Then, the muffled voice continued.

Abruptly, there was a bang against the door.

OH GOD

I thought as the banging continued. They were trying to come in. I start thinking of Oliver, Chris, my parents, and sisters. I try to no freak out and just make peace with this. I didn't want to die, but at least it was me and not one of them. I think of the moments I had with each of them and  they all come flooding back.

Chris and I meeting, Oliver's birth, my parents dropping off at college, my sisters' birthdays.

Then, it stops. There's silence in the air. My hearing is still impaired but there's not muffles or banging.

I think I'm ready. I stay in my ball with my eyes closed, hoping they will make it quick.

The door gets knocked down because I hear it hit the ground. My reflexes make my eyes shoot up to see the commotion.

"MEL!" Chris says running towards me. He lifts me off the ground.

It's Chris. OMG IT'S CHRIS!!! He saved me. He woke up somehow and saved me.

I swing my arms around him, gripping his shirt as he carries me to the couch.

My eyes wander around our destroyed place. There were holes in the ground, and everything was gone. I felt numb. Our house was utterly destroyed.

I am still crying as he sets me on the couch and kneels in front of me. He is moving my hair out of my face and looking to see if I'm hurt. My hearing is finally back, but Chris is in too much shock to say anything he just looking for injuries. I open my mouth a few times to speak, but nothing comes out. My mind is racing.

"Mel, are you okay?" He said holding my wet face. I nodded weakly and tried to smile. I felt helpless. I just needed Chris's arms around me. I just needed this moment to be protected by Chris, it's all I wanted

Chris POV

"You came for me." She said as she leaned into my chest. I held her tight against my chest, her head resting on my shoulder. I just kept rubbing her back, soothing her as best as I could.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner." I whispered under my breath, ashamed. I was beyond worried, tense, and angry. I felt her in my arms, I saw on her face how broken she was.

She sobbed into my shirt and I felt the tears fill in my eyes. God, I should have been there. I thought to myself.

Farley hopped up on the couch and Drift sat next to me. I couldn't move to pet them and tell them I was okay. I needed to hold Melissa. I needed my wife to be okay. I should have been there. I continued to blame myself.