Chapter 10

Chris POV

"Hey, you're going to nail it." Melissa said as she exited the bathroom putting in her second earring.

"Thanks, babe. It's just –" I wanted to tell her I was nervous, but I wasn't. But as usual she cut me off.

"No, you got this, so stop stressing. You are the best actor I've worked with." She insisted hoping it would ease my stress. I just smiled and went over to her.

"And you're not biased." I couldn't help but laughed lightly. I gave her a quick kiss and walked down the stairs.

"I'm not! It's facts!" She yelled as I ran out the door with excitement. I was so lucky to have such a supportive wife. I smiled getting into my car forgetting everything that had made me nervous up to this point.

MEL POV

I was so happy for him, although he hasn't gotten the part, yet he had a good feeling and so did I. He is just so talented.

I decided not to tell Chris about my appointment since he had another callback during it. I also didn't want him to feel guilty or upset that he couldn't come with me. I didn't really care that I was going by myself, actually I was happy with it.

I walk into the office and see the woman at the desk and greet her as I sign in. She tells me to get seated and the doctor will be with me soon. I was feeling nervous, but I didn't know why.

"Melissa?" I hear someone call out into the waiting room. It was my doctor and I stood up and walked to her. "How are you Melissa?" She asks me as I sit down on the bed.

"Um, well I haven't been feeling too well. I get these constant headaches and when I start to feel it coming on my stomach feels like it turns upside down and I usually get sick." I say holding my hands in my lap.

"I see. Any other symptoms?" She asks looking at me and I look up to see her. I shake my head. She thought for a second before asking her next question, "How often does this happen?"

"About every day, but it wasn't this bad before. It's gotten worse in this past month or so."

"Okay. I'm going to ask you some questions. Answer them honestly, please." She says with a smile. I smile back and get ready.

"Have you changed your diet in the last year?"

"No."

"Have you had an serious illnesses in the last year: the flu, strep, chicken poxs?"

"No." I stayed smiling.

"Have you had your period in normally within 25-27 days?"

"No." I felt an instant sadness hit. I hadn't talked about this in a while.

"How come?"

"I was pregnant." I say holding back tears. "I had a miscarriage two weeks ago."

"I'm so sorry. Melissa, the paper must have not come through." Her smile faded immediately, "I'm going to run some tests. Can you lay down for me?" She says and I obey. She starts testing me with blood work and monitors. I lay quietly looking up at the cliening and trying to only think of anything but the miscarriage. I start going through all my memories of Chris. I feel tears flowing down my face.

"Are you alright, miss?" A nurse asks me looking at the tears on my face.

"Yes, I am." I say meaning every word. I had Chris. That's all I needed, my Chris. My rock.

--------------

Then, after about 20 minutes she tells me I can sit back down. She scoots her chair toward me, almost a foot apart. He grabs one of my hands and with the serious look shown on her face, I start to worry badly. I start to panic, and my heart beats rapidly. My lungs feel like they aren't working. Was it serious? I was scared to find out what she had found, but yet I needed to know.

"Now, Melissa, what I'm about to tell can be overwhelming."