Chapter 34

MEL POV
The next day, I woke up and turned on the tv. I usually didn't but I wanted to see the weather, since it looked unusually darker outside. I started getting dressed after waking Oliver. I listen to the news, but there wasn't much so I changed the channel. Suddenly, I heard his name.

"Everyone has been keeping up the marriage of Chris Wood and Melissa Benoist lately, but what we didn't know is that all reporters were wrong." I turn, in shock, to look at the tv half dressed. What did they mean they were wrong? The man continued speaking.

"This picture of Chris Wood," The program showed the picture of the kiss and it made me sick. "It was him auditioning for new upcoming movie called Home for the Holidays." They moved the photo out of sight and back onto the announcer. "The producers have just released this information on Mr. Wood's request." I felt my jaw open, so I closed it, locking my lips together. I felt guilty, but as questioned the honesty in this news.

"Chris Wood didn't cheat ladies and gentlemen. He was actually doing his job." The announcer cracked an uncomfortable laugh, "So, Melissa if you're watching, the reports are wrong your husband not a cheater!" The new reporter kept talking about the movie, but I ignored it. My body was numb as I absorbed this information.

I had no idea what to do. I was in a daze and all I could do was go with the motions. I looked at my phone wanted to call Chris, but how could I tell him over the phone that I was wrong. That I had been an idiot, that I had believed the news over him. God, I was such a hypocrite. How could I make it up to him?

I drove Oliver to my mother's and looked back at him. He was so happy now and I knew I wanted to be too. I mean I was overjoyed that he hadn't cheated, but I had to make it right with Chris.

"Hey, Oliver. You're going to have a sleepover with grandma tonight. Mommy has to work late." I told him.

"Okay." He said, not minding a bit, continuing to play. It was true, I was going to out late.

I was going to go up to Iowa where Chris was supposed to be filming this week. I was going to set it straight and talk to him. I was going to apologize for jumping to conclusions and tell him I was an idiot for not trusting him. I dropped Oliver off and sped to work.

**                    **                                **                    **                    **                                **

I had to tell the director that I would be gone for a few days and tell Chlyer that she had to watch Oliver while I was gone. I was determined and I wasn't taking no for an answer.

Everything went smoothly, but I wasn't afraid to be firm. I wasn't taking a vacation; I was saving my marriage. I packed up my stuff on set and drove home, so I could get the remaining things. I got out and ran inside, I was so impatient to get down to Iowa. This was about to be a really long drive. I thought to myself. I ran in the door but stopped in midtracks at the sight in front of me.

He was here. He was right in front of me. He turned at the sound of my entrance and I saw the tears in his eyes.

I couldn't stay still. I ran to him, instantly. I hadn't seen him in weeks, and it felt so natural. I jumped into his arm and he caught me. I wrapped my legs around him, resting my head on his shoulder. He held me so tight. I didn't want to ever let go. It felt so good to be in his arms.

After about a minute, he set me, genteelly, on the ground. I feel tears run down my face and he wipes them away just like when we were at the train station. I couldn't form words. It was just so amazing to see him, to have him standing in front of me, to feel his touch.

"Mel, I'm so sorry-" I cut him off, before he's able to say more.

"No, I am sorry." I held the sob in the back of my throat. "I should have trusted you..." I wasn't sure how to form my next words, "You've done nothing to make me think less of you. You have done nothing but show that you love me" My voice broke and a sob emerged. My head falls in guilt. I felt like I had betrayed Chris and yet he was so calm. Chris puts my head between his hands and lifts it so I can see him.

"Melissa, I should have just told you." His eyes were innocent and kind, "There was a contract that I made, but I should have just told you instead of keeping it from you and making you have doubts."

"I didn't mean it. I didn't mean any of it." I tell him, truly upset with myself.

"I know." He said this with a smile, but it faded quickly, "I'm so sorry that you thought I'd cheat on you." He took a pause, "We're married, we shouldn't have secrets." His eyes met mine with the same guilt I felt. A tear rolled down his cheek slowly. "You were the first thing I thought of everyday. How are you? Do you miss me like I miss you? You're the first thing I will think of everyday of my life." Chris said as his thumb caressed my cheek.

"God, I missed you so much." I told him as I stopped crying. I felt my eyes puff up, and as I went to rub one of them, Chris leaned in a kissing me passionately. I broke away, needing to say one more thing. His hands shifted from my face to my waist, "I will never doubt you ever again." I told him, hoping he'd eventually believe me. "I trust you with every part of me."

"No more secrets." He nodded with his boyish smirk. I smile widely at him.

"No more secrets." I agree, biting my lip.

"God, Mel. I love you." Chris said as he pulled me close, and my chest was against his.

"I love you more." I say lifting my hands to his face, massaging his cheeks through my thumb. I pull him into a long passionate kiss.

I felt like I had waited for this for so long. I wanted him so bad. And now he was here. Chris, my husband, was here. He loved me and despite everything I had accused him of he came back and I loved him for it.