Nightmares

Over the next couple of weeks, things fell into a regular, comfortable pattern again.

The only major thing that had changed was that Joon and I now slept in the same bed every night. It didn't make a difference if it was his or mine, it just mattered that we were in the same space, in close proximity to each other, when the night fell. It was a matter of comfort, but more so, for me, a matter of necessity, so that on nights like tonight, when I woke up, clammy with cold sweat, my breath clawing out of my throat in hard gasps, he was there, beside me.

"Hey, jagi. It's okay. I've got you. You're safe." I heard his low voice murmur, still heavy with sleep, as I felt his arms go around me, his face burying itself in my hair.

I unclenched my hands, which had been gripping the blanket covering me so tightly, that my injured wrist was now aching, and turned to face him, my face going into the warm skin of his bare chest as I tried to calm down, my panicked breaths still echoing loudly in my ears.

I screwed my eyes shut, trying to rid myself of the images left over from the nightmare that had awoken me.

Cold steel pressed against my temple. The sound of my wrist snapping. Screams of pain. And then a gunshot, ringing in my ears, as blood pooled- dark, crimson, sticky, beneath my sneakers.

"Are you okay?" I heard Joon whisper, his breath moving my hair slightly, his voice more awake now.

I shook my head, my face still buried in his chest, his familiar and comforting musk filling my nose, his skin warm and smooth against the planes of my face.

"Hey, It was just a nightmare. You're safe. I won't let anything happen to you." He said softly, seriously, as I felt his hands slide under the material of my shirt, his long fingers trailing up and down the skin of my back comfortingly, my flesh still slightly damp with sweat that had yet to dry.

I let out a weak chuckle, humorless, as I reached up with a trembling hand to push my sweaty hair back from my forehead. I glanced up at him, although I couldn't make out his features in the darkness of the bedroom, and then said, my voice slightly shaky still, "Maybe you should start sleeping in your own bed again. I feel bad that I'm always waking you up."

"That's stupid." I heard him chuckle, the sound rumbling through his chest beneath my ear as the motions on my back stopped and his arms tightened around me again, pulling me snugly back against him, as he continued. "This is my job, right? To be here for you. So don't say things like that."

Taking in a breath through my nose and releasing it out slowly through my mouth, in the form of a long sigh, I felt my pounding heart start to calm a little in my chest, and I could feel my breathing evening as I laid against him, his own, steady rhythmic pulse pounding through his chest beneath my ear. "Yeah, okay."

"Besides." He murmured, nuzzling his nose into my hair again, as he pressed a kiss against the hot, flushed skin of my forehead. "I like sleeping next to you."

"Me too." I whispered out, closing my eyes, snuggling closer to him, and with his presence beside me, and his arms around me, I was finally calm enough to go back to sleep.

*****

"That was a good run through, guys!"

I heard Hobi say, as the music finished and the various members dropped to the floor of the practice room in different degrees of exhaustion, reaching for water bottles or towels or cell phones.

"Hey, (F/N)?" I heard him say my name above the harsh sound of my own ragged breathing echoing in my ears, as I glanced over at him, taking a long swig from my water bottle as I did so. He raised an eyebrow at me, his own drink in his hand, an expression of worry on his face as he asked, "You okay today?"