Bound

The first thing I remember, when I came to, was the cold.

The second, was how heavy, achy, awful my body felt.

Opening my eyes, I squinted against the bright light that seemed to be aimed directly on my face, instinctively reaching up a hand to cover my face, but realizing, with a sudden jolt, that I couldn't move. Not at all.

Suddenly, I was wide awake, the haze and fog covering my brain gone in an instant.

Eyes wide, terror mounting in the pit of my stomach, I struggled, glancing down to see that my hands were bound tightly behind my back, each ankle strapped to an individual chair leg, rendering me completely helpless and unmoving. My breath, harsh in my own ears, was coming in panicked gasps, and I felt like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs, my silent screams being muffled by the gag that was bound tightly across my mouth, the fabric biting into my tongue and rubbing the corners of my mouth raw.

My mouth felt as if it were full of cotton, my throat clogged with fear, as I grappled blindly with myself, knowing that all of my struggles were in vain.I was only tiring myself out. I couldn't escape these bonds, not in a million years.

My racing thoughts were interrupted by someone's voice, coming from beyond the pool of light and my line of vision, growling out, "Well, well, well. Looks like our little cash cow is finally awake."

I ducked my head in response as the bright light flashed once again across my eyes, and then it grew dark around me, and I blinked rapidly, trying to adjust my sight to the sudden change in lighting. Able to see once again, I glanced at my surroundings, noting that the bright spotlight had been a table lamp, aimed directly across my features. Now, the lamp thrown to the side, I could see that I was in what appeared to be some sort of abandoned warehouse, the large room echoey and cold, sheet metal walls doing nothing to warm against the cold air from outside. The floor was strewn with old, ripped papers, cardboard boxes, abandoned and twisted metal chairs. The building obviously hadn't been used for business in some time.

I was pulled from my thoughts as a man, probably the same one who had moved the light, stepped toward me, his eyebrow cocked in a predatory sort of way, as he regarded me, a smirk crossing his full mouth before he addressed me. "Welcome back, princess. Have a nice nap?"

I glared at him, the restraints around my wrists biting sharply into my skin, the discomfort keeping me alert and aware as he stalked toward me, reaching out to run a dirty finger down the skin of my cheek, pausing above the gag, as he said softly, "You're a pretty little thing. It's too bad I've strict instructions not to touch you."

"Hey!"

I jumped slightly, as the man jerked back from me, another deeper, more commanding voice echoing across the room, followed by heavy footsteps coming toward us. The man who had touched me, backed away from me, respectfully bowing his head, as another man came into view, his lips pulled down into a frown as he asked sternly, "She's awake?"

The other man nodded, his greasy hair falling into his eyes as he addressed his superior, his tone respectful. This new guy was obviously in charge. "Yes, sir. Seems alert."

I studied the new man out of the corner of my eye, keeping my head down, my chin tight against my chest. He was tall, taller than the first man, and he held an air of authority about him. Unlike the other guy, he was clean, well shaven, sparkling silver rings adorning his fingers, his suit crisp and well made.

Approaching me, he reached out and placed a long, slender finger under my chin, forcing me to look up at him as he tilted my head back. He studied me for a moment, his head cocked to one side, making him almost look like a curious bird, his dark hair falling softly over one elegantly arched eyebrow, his high cheekbones stark in the light from the fallen lamp. A silver cross dangled from his ear, swinging from side to side gently, glinting in the light. He could have been handsome, in a very pretty way, if it were under different circumstances.