Part 61

We set our own limits on love. Some of us bind our hearts like Chinese women bind their feet. The binding is painful at first but eventually you get used to it and the pain goes away. The saddest part of all is that by binding yourself to the choices you make, you forget that there was ever another way to live. -Kate McGahan

Maina's POV

The scariest day of my life. I was soaked in my wife's blood and pain. My eyes were still doubting what they witnessed today.

The doctor pleaded that i should change my bloody cloth and have a bath but i refused. I won't leave or do anything till Farha was okay.
She has a miscarriage! But how? She was always careful with whatever she ate or do.

"Doctor how?" I asked curiously.

"Mr. Maina your wife was poisoned. It was an Induced miscarriage. We found some toxic substances and her blood was oily. She has lost alot of blood but we have everything in control."

"Poison?" I was flaggerbasted. Poison! "How did...? Doctor she is always careful with what she eats."

"Hmmn. We don't know it happened too but we will ask Madam if she wakes up. Please go and take a bath."

"Please save my wife. Pleaseee." I held the Doctor's hand and pleaded to him like a six year old boy.

"Don't worry. We'll do all our best."

I waited patiently for Farha to wake up.

Five hours later, she regained consciousness and I rushed into the room without listening to the doctors and nurses warning. I need to see my wife.

And there she was on the bed looking so helpless and lean already. I was speechless. She looked at me with an oxygen mask on her face.

My talkative Farha was Lying on a bed looking helpless and all she could do was smile at me.
I held her cold hands and kissed them. "How...ho...how.." I stammered and couldn't say a word. My throat constricted and a heavy lump clamped my neck.

The sight of my wife on the hospital bed broke me and tears started falling down my cheeks. I was crying and my nose was running like that of a little sad boy. Yes! I was crying. The nurses were all amazed and confused seeing a grown up man crying.

"Farha...am sorry." I sniffed. "Am sorry you had to go through all this in our marriage. First it was me and now...you and our baby. Farha we...we lost the baby..." I couldn't hold my cool. I was so heartbroken. No matter how much pain i felt, Farha's pain was worse.

She shook her head in disapproval trying to say something. She held the mask and removed it forcefully.

"Stop. Don't say anything, Baby." I held her hands.

"Maina.." she whispered. "Am not angry all this happened. Remember you said we'll have to be strong to overcome any problems that comes our way. Allah is with us."

"Oh dear. How did all this happened? It's too early."

"Mango juice..." she said and closed her eyes.

"Mango juice? Should I get some for you?"

But she shook her head saying No. "After the toasted bread you made for me in the morning, the mango juice was the only thing i took afterward." She managed to say.