Chapter Forty-Six - The Brits

"You ready?" Jake smiles, holding his hand out as we leave the house to reach the taxi parked outside. It's the night of the Brit Awards, mine and Jake's first 'serious' public outing together, and the chance to meet all my favourite celebrities.
I wear a pale pink, mid-thigh length dress. It has a fitted, a-line top made from the cutest little fabric flowers, with a puffy skirt - made from the same material as the flowers - that makes my legs look longer. The skirt is scattered with a few flowers from the top, and, wearing it, I feel like a princess. It's beautiful. Jake wears a white shirt with a black blazer and trousers, with his favourite black trainers. He's styled his hair a little, and he looks as perfect as usual. I'm so lucky to be going with him.
We've left Bear at my parents' house, and the house has a weird emptiness about it without him. I smile even though I miss him a little, but I'll see him tomorrow.
"We don't have to do the red carpet if you want to." Jake finds my shaking hand and holds it, rubbing his thumb along my skin reassuringly.
My gaze travels to the floor, finding my pastel pink peep-toe heels. I squeeze his hand a little bit. "I'll be fine. Don't worry about me, tonight is your night."
We reach the venue at five o clock, two hours earlier than we need to be but we want to get it over and done with. As we get out the taxi, we thank the driver and the familiar tune of A-Punk by Vampire Weekend fills my ears. I smile and wiggle my hips a little, hearing Jake's chuckle as he takes my hand tightly in his and leads me through the crowds of personal assistants, hair and make-up artists and security guards. We reach the dreaded red carpet, and it's stretch into the building feels infinite.
Jake let's go of my hand and, instead, wraps his arm round my waist, pulling me closer to him. I smile and place my hand lightly on his back, trembling now from nerves.
"This is my jam." He leans down to whisper in my ear, breath ticking my skin, as I laugh. Nervous butterflies fill my stomach as we take our first steps onto the path.
"Over here!" I have to flash a smile in every direction as camera flashes fill my eyes and the shouting of photographers and the screaming of fans fill my ears. Jake leans down to kiss me on the cheek for a second and a genuine smile appears on my lips, as a million more cameras take photos. This is surreal.
We get inside and I breathe a sigh of relief, feeling my hand loosen from Jake's back and my shoulders relax - it wasn't as bad as I'd expected, but it was pretty weird.
Jake leans down to plant a kiss on my forehead, taking both my hands in his and smiling. "That was amazing..you're amazing."
"Aw, Jake." I blush,turning the same colour as my dress. "C'mon, let's go inside." I take his hand in mine and start to lead him into the huge hall. "We might see Alex Turner!"