Chapter Six - Breakfast

The dull, grey morning light emits through the curtains and shines brightly into my eyes, a rude awakening. I groan as I stretch, not ready to wake up just yet.

"What time is it?" I yawn, speaking to no one in particular.

"Twelve fifteen." I turn over to find Jake smiling back at me. "Have I ever told you that you're beautiful?" He whispers.

"I'm not." I blush and look down. Jake props himself onto his elbows and kisses my forehead.

"You are." He says, his fingers intertwining with mine. My cheeks turn a string shade of pink at his compliment.

"Well, I need to get dressed. So, shoo!" I joke, pecking Jake's lips as he exits the room.

I turn my iPod on, finding my favourite playlist, and dance embarrassingly as I dress. I wear a plain, black t-shirt and high-waisted shorts, followed by tights and my old black vans. I brush my teeth, take last nights make up off and replace it with a small coat of mascara, then brush my hair and leave it down.

"Wow." Jake gasps when he sees me. I didn't think I looked nice this morning, but Jake's sweet little compliments always gave me a confidence boost.

"What's cookin', good lookin'?" I ask, standing in the doorway of the kitchen, watching Jake as he fumbles round the kitchen. After a few seconds, he puts the food on to cook and walks over to me, embracing me warmly once he does so.

"You'll find out soon enough." He laughs, smirking.

"Jake," I say, smiling. "You have flour on your face."

"Well, that ruined my attempt of being sexy." He chuckles.

"Let me get it." I reach up on my tiptoes to brush the flour off his face. I don't realise how close our faces are until I see Jake's green eyes following my own.

I blink once, and our lips connect. The feeling of him kissing me, his soft lips on mine, sets off fireworks in my mind. I break away, and Jake steps forward, holding my hands in his.

"Who taught you to kiss like that?" He smiles, making me blush.

"Meh, I dunno." I shrug, trying to stay casual. After a moment, I can't resist the urge anymore and mess up his hair, something he hates.

"I'll get you for that!" He remarks, playfully tickling me. I slip from his embrace, and run up the stairs, straight into my room. Gasping for breath, I think I'm safe until a strong pair of hands grab me again.

"No, Jake!" I can't stop smiling as we fall onto the unmade bed. Jake stumbles, and hovers above me, his knees either side of my waist.

"No one," he tickles my sides. "Messes my hair up."

"Okay, I won't!" I push my hands onto his chest, finally surrendering. Jake kisses my neck a few times before helping me up, then pulling me into an amorous hug. I laugh as he picks me up, spinning me round as he does so. It feels magical. Even the way his hugs feel tells me he feels the same way.

"Katie," he whispers, taking one of my hands and intertwining my fingers with his.

"Yes?" I look up at him, his eyes locking onto mine as soon as I do.

"Will you, erm.." He takes a shaky breath. "be my girlfriend?" He smiles widely at the last word in his question.

"Of course, Jake!" I grin as we hug again. The moment is interrupted by the smoke alarm beeping, and Jake curses as we both run down the stairs.

Fortunately, Jake didn't burn the house down.

Unfortunately, breakfast was burnt.

Jake sighs as he puts the black, charred remainder of our food into the bin.