Chapter Thirty-Seven - Work To Do

I'm awoken by the sound of a guitar. Jake's guitar. I stretch and sit up, finding him sitting on the floor and strumming the instrument delicately.

"Good morning," I say, happy. He looks up at me adoringly, the sunlight flooding into the room and shining almost directly onto Jake.

"You look beautiful every morning." He smiles. "And afternoon. And night."

"Oh, Jake." I blush, tying my hair up as I get out of bed. "What're you doing anyway?" I sit down next to him, kissing his cheek when he holds my hand in his.

"I couldn't sleep, so I decided to do some writing."

I rest my head on his shoulder as his thumb brushes against mine, sending an electric current up and down my spine. "You should have woken me up."

"You look so perfect when you sleep though." He chuckles.

"I love you." I move my head back to look at him, and he looks down at me. We both smile.

"Katie," he takes both my hands in his. "I love you more than I've ever loved anyone."

I blush again, and the gap between us is closed by our affection for eachother. Jake's lips on mine send my heart into a frenzy. We're here, just us. We're surrounded by the empty walls and the creaky wooden floorboards, but no one else is here to witness this moment. The way he moves, the way my eyes flutter shut, the way that the whole world seems to stop for however long we choose is completely ours. He's mine. I'm his. And we're here.

He moves back, leaving me wanting more as our foreheads touch. Jake smiles at my loss of breath, and his eyes take my breath away. Everything about him is so beautiful.

"Jake." I whisper, closing my eyes and gulping a little.

"Yeah?" He chuckles, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you." I rush, nervous as I confess my feelings.

"You took the words right out of my mouth." He whispers back, making me smile as we kiss again. My lungs to breathe, my mind forgets to think, and my heart forgets to beat in time, but I'll never forget how Jake's kisses feel.

"This morning was something else, Katie." Jake says, out of the blue, smiling, as we pull into the driveway of my parents' house.

I blush, opening my mouth to say something only to be interrupted by an alarm on my phone. "And I'm nearly late for work. Can you get inside okay?"

"I'm fine, have a fun day at work." Jake kisses me once, leaving me unsatisfied, as I get out the car. I'm finally at the end of the driveway and onto the pavement when Jake calls my name.

"Oh, and Katie?" He smiles.

"Yeah?" I have to squint to make out his perfect features in the winter sunlight.

"I love you." He chuckles, making me feel eternally happy.

I quickly walk back up to where Jake stands, progressing into a run when I'm near him. I reach him and hug him, smiling when he engulfs me in a warm embrace. I smile, burying my head into his shoulder as his hands hold my waist.

"I love you too, Jake." I whisper, loud enough for only him to hear. We break apart, but rest out hands on eachother, both of our faces adorned with lazy smiles.

"I'll walk you to work." He rushes to put his stuff back in the car, taking my hand and leading me down the street.

I hum a random Kate Nash song as we walk through the soft snow, feet crunching in the ice beneath us. Jake's hand warms me, and I have no worries as we walk. I look around, taking in the unusually empty street around us. The streets are too icy to drive on, and, everywhere I look, light and warmth emit from the houses. My mind soon turns to houses, and I get butterflies in my stomach whenever I think about moving in with Jake.

"I used to hate Mondays but spending them with you are the best." He smiles, making me turn to look at him. He's perfect.

"Aw," I laugh, my rosy cheeks blushing even more. "You're the best, Jake."

We enter The Coffee House and Jake walks me to the counter, making me wonder if he'll ever let go of my hand. I hope he never lets go.

"Oh, hey, you two." Phoebe smiles, her ponytail swishing as she walks over to us.

"Hey," I smile. "Is it okay for me to start?"

"Of course." She grins.

I turn to Jake, draping my arms around his neck. "You'd better get going." I smile lazily.

"Okay." Jake smiles. "I love you." He pecks my lips. "So much." He does it again.

I blush, smiling like crazy. We share a tender kiss before I break away.

"Okay, I really need to go now." I blush. Jake chuckles.

I can't stop smiling as I work, even though I long for Jake.

"You really love him, don't you?" Phoebe laughs as I nearly spill coffee over myself when Jake texts me.

"Well," I laugh, blushing. I pull out my phone and check it.

'blue or green for our room?💜' from Jake. He's gone out to get paint for the new house. We decided that he gets to choose the colour scheme for each room and some of the furniture, seeing as he contributed most of the money towards the house, but I still want to spend most of my savings on making it the best house that we could ever share.

'green if it's alright with you😘' I type back.

'that's what i was hoping you'd say😉💜' he replies.

'great minds think alike i suppose🙈💜' I slide my phone back into my pocket, not having time to even wait for a reply as my break is over.

Soon enough, six o clock comes around, and I fold my apron as Phoebe walks over to me.

"You don't have to come in tomorrow if you don't want to. I mean, incase you need to get stuff ready for the house." She smiles, looking a little sad as she mentions my leave.

"No, it would only feel right to come in. Me and Jake have got a New Years party to go to at ten though, so I can work until seven." I smile broadly, trying to reassure her.

"Honestly, you don't have to work until seven."

"It's the least I can do, Phoebe. Thank you so much for everything." Tears form in my eyes as we hug.