Chapter Thirteen - Job Search

Stretching my arms, I reluctantly leave my bed. The smell of breakfast cooking downstairs awakens me, and I rub my eyes as I walk to the mirror. Quickly, I plait my hair and remove the remainder of my makeup in an attempt to look normal. My phone vibrates and I practically jump to see who it is.
'Good morning princess💜' I smile happily at Jake's text.
'Morning☺️💜' I set my phone on the bedside table and make my way downstairs with a cheerful 'good morning' to my parents.
"Is that a new hoodie? It's nice." Mum asks. I try not to blush too much as I know it's Jake's, but I go along with it anyway.
"Yeah, I got it from town a few days ago." It's a grey Adidas hoodie, and I wear it with pyjama shorts. I sigh happily at the familiar smell of Jake's cologne, mixed with the smell of his cigarettes. I miss him like crazy.

-- Four Hours Later --

"Do you know if the coffee shop down the road is still hiring?" I ask, poking my head into the living room.
"Look at you, getting a job and everything!" My mum says happily, proud of my achievement of getting up and doing something productive.
"I think they are." My dad informs, to which I smile.
"Okay, thank you." I sing, and run back upstairs. I've talked to jake about getting a job, so that I can afford things without having to borrow money. I brush and fishtail plait my hair, then apply a thin coat of mascara and some thin winged eyeliner, and start to get dressed. Wearing a pastel pink jumper with a white blouse underneath, I make sure that the collars are aligned perfectly over the neck of the jumper before putting some light denim skinny jeans on, and my white converse. I grab my old tan, leather bag from my wardrobe and throw my keys, purse and my old CV (that I dug out from some cupboard) into it, then slide my phone into my pocket.

"I'm just going out," I say loudly before closing the door behind me. It's going to take a few minutes to get there, so I decide to call Jake whilst I walk. As I wait for him to pick up, I look down at the bracelet he gave me and smile.
"Hi!" Jake smiles, happy, after a few seconds.
"Hey," I smile too, even though he can't see me. "It feels so good to hear your voice."
"I didn't think I'd miss you this much,"
"Me neither," I sigh. "Even waking up this morning felt weird."
"So, what are you doing?"
"On my way to get a job," I smile. "And yourself?"
"Not much really," he chuckles. "Where's this job then?"

"Some coffee shop up the road from mine. I'm gonna need the money if I'm travelling."
"I can come to you, you know."
"And I might need money for clothes, too." We both laugh.
"Have you told your parents yet?"
"Hm?" I ask, genuinely not hearing Jake over the sound of the heavy traffic to my left.
"Have you told your parents about us?"
"Oh," I sigh. "No, not yet."
"I'm always here for you when you do."
"Thank you," I smile at Jake's kindness.
"How far away are you from the shop?" He asks, probably more excited than me.
"I'm just coming up to it now."
"I'll go then, call me when you know anything." Jake smiles.
"Okay, bye then." I laugh.
"Love you."
"Love you too."

I smile as I slide my phone back into my jeans pocket, before opening the door to the shop. A small bell chimes above me.
"How can I help?" A friendly looking girl appears from behind a glass counter.
"Hi, um. I'm just wondering about the job vacancy."
"We're still taking applicants for the barista position." She smiles.
"Oh," I smile in relief, handing her my CV.
"Have you had any experience in a place like this?" She scans over my CV.
"Yeah, I've worked in Starbucks and Costa Coffee."
"Perfect," she claps her hands once. "Would you be able to come in for a trial tomorrow?"
"Yeah, sure." I smile.

"I'm Phoebe, by the way. I'll see you tomorrow." She holds out her hand.
"Katie," I smile, shaking her hand. "Yeah, see you tomorrow."

- - -
Sorry for the short chapter!:) the next few chapters will be a lot better than this one, I promise c: