Chapter Fourteen - New Kid On The Block

Heading out of my house, I carefully adjust my ponytail. Wearing a white shirt, black leggings, blue Nike blazers and my favourite denim jacket, I feel confident and optimistic about the day ahead. I've left my phone at home to get rid of any distractions, and, as I enter the shop at the early time of nine in the morning, the butterflies gather nervously in my stomach. I greet Phoebe as she allows me through to the counter, then hands me a light blue apron with 'The Coffee House' written on it in swirly writing.

"Ready?" She asks as the first few customers start to pile in.

"100%" I smile.

-- Three Hours Later --

"That wasn't as hard as I'd expected." I smile, folding the apron and placing it on a chair.

"Good," Phoebe smiles. "We'll be in touch tomorrow." She has brown hair that falls just last her shoulders, and she always plaits the two sides of her fringe, to which she would secure them to her hair with bobby pins, which are often brightly coloured. Her apron hangs loosely upon her skinny figure, and her petite frame is something I envy. Phoebe's parents own The Coffee House, and, similar to myself, she is often left on her own to run the business. She seems friendly, and, by the time I'd finished my busy shift, I feel myself getting to know her more and more.

"Okay," I smile, grabbing my jacket from the 'Staff Only' room and lazily throwing it on. "Thank you."

We both say bye as I leave, and Phoebe is left to deal with the customers for the next few hours. I feel a pang of guilt once I've left, but, I've helped the most I could, especially seeing as I don't even work there.

Arriving home, the empty driveway informs me that no one is in, so I take the time to call Jake.

"Did you get it?" He asks, excited.

"What?" I'm exhausted, and confused.

"The job?" Jake chuckles.

"Oh," I laugh lightly. "I don't know yet."

"Aw man." Jake whines jokingly. After a few seconds, I'm brought back to reality and rub my eyes, groaning a little.

"God, I'm knackered." I sigh, longing for my bed.

"I can go if you want."

"No," I say quickly, butterflies forming in my stomach, almost on cue. "Please stay."

"Alright," I hear traffic in the background of Jake's phone, and the occasional heavy breath he makes tells me he's smoking.

"I miss you," I say unexpectedly, collapsing into bed.

"I miss you too," he sighs. "I miss lying next to you and I'll smell that perfume you wear. And sometimes, when it's raining, you'll feel cold when you cuddle up to me, so I'll pull you closer. Then, maybe we'll talk, or one of us will doze off, and you'll wake up again and still look perfect. Or maybe we'll sit in silence, and when we're in that silence, I'll think about how much I love you."

And with that, I fall asleep.