Chapter Thirty-Six - Packing

Thank you all so much for 18k reads! You're all so lovely <3

I hope everyone enjoys this chapter x

- - -

"I'm home!" I call, closing the door behind me. I've just got back from work, and my phone tells me it's four in the afternoon. I'd been at work since ten, so my body aches with exhaustion when I shake the snow from my clothes.

"You ready to go?" Jake asks, walking down the stairs.

"I guess." I smile when he kisses me on the way outside. I grab my money from the kitchen and shove my phone and keys back into my pocket, peering my head into the living room on the way out.

"Mum, Dad, we're just going to Jake's to get his stuff. We might be back late." I smile.

"Try not to be too late." My mother kisses my cheek. "Oh, and text me when you get there."

"I'm not a child anymore, mum." I laugh.

"That doesn't stop us from worrying." My dad chuckles.

"Okay, we'll be back in a few hours." I smile, leaving the house.

"Okay to go?" Jake waits by the car, placing his hand on my waist when I walk to him.

"Yep," I smile, getting into the passenger side.

"Road trip!" Jake jokes, making me smile.

"Woo!" I cheer along, grinning when Jake turns the music up in the car. I carefully pull the mirror in front of me down and readjust my hair, frowning at how it looks.

"You look beautiful." Jake sighs happily once he notices what I'm doing.

"Jake," I sigh, happy. "I'm not."

I'm wearing a black and white 'The Beatles' shirt with my blue parka, denim jeans and my black vans. I have a thin coat of mascara on, and my hair is down, flowing freely over my shoulders. I look at the horizon, watching the grey sky looming over us, a constant cold threat.

"I wonder if it'll snow anymore." I say, pulling out my phone to check the weather forecast.

"I hope it doesn't. We need to get to Nottingham in the next few hours." He chuckles.

I grin, opening the weather app. "God, I hope we don't get stuck in Nottingham. We need to be back to pack our stuff up tomorrow."

"Well, you know, if we did get stuck..we'd have to stay close to keep warm." Jake laughs, raising his eyebrows at me and winking.

I laugh. "We might have to get stuck then."

Life with Jake is perfect, I think, as the album Every Kingdom by Ben Howard plays through the car. I lean my head on the car window, feeling the cold that sends shivers up and down my body. The trees outside are beautifully bare, and the snowflakes that have started to fall scatter on the ground.

"Jake, look, it's snowing." I laugh, and he does too.

-- A Few Hours Later --

"Well, we got here in one piece." Jake kicks the ice starting to form on the ground. "I'm just not too sure about getting back."

I frown. "Well, if you don't think it's safe to drive.."

"Let's see if it clears." Jake smiles, taking my hand and leading me into the building. It's empty, and I suppose everyone must be off for the Christmas holiday. Even the elevator is silent, with no metallic churning to be heard.

"Well, this is weird." Jake laughs on the way into the flat.

We walk in, and I sit straight down on the sofa.