Chapter Twelve - Leaving Nottingham

"Katie," a soothing whisper wakes me from my peaceful slumber.

"Morning," I smile into the pillow, still happy from the evening previous.

"Good morning," Jake laughs. "Guess what?" I look up to find Jake with his guitar on his lap and a crumpled piece of paper in front of him.

"What?" I say cheerily. He tells me he'd just written a song, and that he can record it in the next week or so and it could be put on his new album, last-minute. It takes me a minute to absorb all this information, as Jake is a rush of happiness and I'm only half-awake. Like normal, Jake sings with his voice that never fails to give me goosebumps, the tells me the song title:

'Me and You'.💜

We spend the morning mucking around, but two hours before I'm set to leave, Jake tells me to be dressed and ready within half an hour. Lazily, I throw on some skinny jeans, a navy converse sweater and grey vans. I fishtail plait my hair over my shoulder and apply my makeup - concealer, a soft flick of eyeliner and a coat of mascara.

"You look beautiful." Jake leans in the doorway as I apply the last of my makeup.

"Jake, shut up." I smirk, walking over to him.

"Ready to go?" Jake asks.

"I guess," I bite my lip, trying to think of everything I need.

"God," Jake breathes, looking to his left.

"What?" I ask curiously.

"You know that drives me crazy," his hands wrap round my waist, pulling us together.

"What? This?" Smirking, I bite my lip again.

"Katie, stop." He smiles. I laugh. Jake's hand travels down my waist and he kisses my neck, earning heavy breaths from me. "See?" He raises an eyebrow mischievously as he pulls away from me. As soon as he does, I whimper quietly, longing for his touch again.

"You're such a tease," I sigh, looking at him adoringly.

"Oh, I am?" Jake asks sarcastically as he picks me up bridal-style and spins me round.

"Jake!" I squeak. "Put me down!"

"Nope," he chuckles, running into the hallway, and spinning round once more before entering the lounge and placing me on the sofa.

"Wait there," he smiles, and I do so.

He returns a few moments later, carrying a wicker picnic basket and my bag.

"Do you want me to take that?" I ask, gesturing to my bag.

"Nope," Jake smiles, swapping the bags into one hand so that he could hold my hand.

I feel complete as our fingers intertwine. Jake is the missing puzzle piece in my life, he's what I need. He competes me, makes me feel warm and safe. We haven't known each other that long, but it feels like ages since that stormy night when Jake entered my life. That night was fate, and Jake always says how one day, our paths were destined to cross.

I can't help but smile as we make our way from the apartment building to the woods that we had walked through. Jake refuses any help as he lays out the blanket on the driest bit of grass we can find, then places the picnic basket, followed by my bag, on the side of it.

"Voila!" Jake smiles as we both sit down, proud of his work.

"This is great," the delicate tweeting of the birds is the only noise that we hear, and I marvel at the towering trees around us.

"I know," he nods, following my line of sight and looking up at the trees too. "We're so doing this again when you're back."

I sigh. "I don't know how long it'll be until I get back, Jake."