Chapter Thirty-One - Fire

- - -

13k reads and 213 votes made me way too excited when I logged onto wattpad this morning. Thank you all so much! <3

- - -

"Christmas Eve!" I cheer, playfully jumping onto Jake, who refuses to awake.

He groans. "I'm warm here."

I laugh at him. "Jake, c'mon! It's snowing and everything!" I jump on the spot, eager to go outside. White, pure snow is laid like a blanket in the grass outside, untouched and still fresh. I can't wait to get out, to play in the snow, to feel the crunch of the snowflakes beneath my feet.

"But it's cold out there." Jake rolls onto his back. I take my chance, grabbing his hands and attempting to pull him out of bed.

"Jake, please!" I whine, excited.

"Fine." He grumbles, getting up. "Let me get dressed." He smiles.

I'm wearing two shirts underneath my baggy jumper, as well as my dark khaki parka coat over the top, with thermal leggings, two pairs of fluffy socks, and my grey timberland shoes. Jake wears a shirt, jumper and his usual jacket, with jeans and trainers. I have no idea how he's not freezing. I stand by the door, watching him lace up his shoes.

"Ready?" He smirks, taking my hand in his.

"Ready." I open the door, and Jake runs outside, ignoring our plan as he picks my up over his shoulder.

"Jake, put me down!" I shout playfully, being shaken at each thud of his running footsteps.

"Sure." He chuckles, planting me down on my back in the snow. It's fantastically cold.

"Oh, that's it." I smirk. I pull him down by his scarf. "You're coming down with me."

Jake mumbles an obviously fake 'oops' as he falls on top of me, his arms gradually snaking round my waist. I put both my warm hands on the sides of his face, and shiver.

"I love you." Jake chuckles, a glimmer of happiness shining in his beautiful eyes.

"I love you too." I laugh as we kiss tenderly. Jake completes me.

The butterflies in my stomach go crazy as Jake's hand links with mine as he helps me up out of the snow, and wraps his arm around me from behind. He nuzzles his head in the crook of my neck, his hot breath warming me.

"You have snow in your hair." Jake chuckles.

"Hmm, I wonder why." I grin as I turn to face him.

"Here, let me get it." He bites his lip a little, in concentration.

"Thanks." I blush, pink, and my gaze travels to the floor.

"Do you want to build a snowman?" Jake sings mockingly as we run in the snow.

"We should!" I laugh, picking up a bit of snow and starting to mould it into a sphere. Jake does the same, and we both laugh at ourselves, fully grown adults, making snowmen in my front garden.

Soon enough, we have a snowman. Jake adds his scarf as well as some pebbles, and I put my coat on the snow. We both admire it, standing back as Jake puts his arm round me.

I shiver. "Think I'll have to take this back." I decide to put my coat back on before I get hypothermia.

"Good idea." Jake smirks. "Should we go inside?" He holds out his hand.

"Sure." I take it, brushing myself off as we step into the porch.

"Where have you two been?" My mum laughs at us, shivering and soaked.

"Outside." We both laugh.

"The fires lit. Why don't you go warm up?" She asks, letting us in as I remove my wet coat.

"I'm so excited for tomorrow." I say, curled up next to Jake on the sofa. The orange flames in the fire dance beautifully, and I can't help but get lost in their flickers as Jake holds me.

"Me neither. Are you sure you don't mind me being here?" He asks, his arm round me protectively.

"Jake, of course I don't mind." I smile. Christmas here with Jake was going to be great. It would be me, my mum, dad, my brother and Jake all in the same house, which would benefit all of us. Since we'd got back from the album signings, Jake had been staying round, and there was no possible way of getting back to Nottingham in this snow.

-- Later --

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep." I lay in bed, with my head in Jake's lap. "I mean, it's Christmas tomorrow."

"Just try, otherwise you'll be tired tomorrow." He whispers, stroking my hair soothingly.

"Okay." I close my eyes and try to sleep as hard as I can.

Twenty minutes later, I speak again.

"Jake?"

"Yeah, Katie?" He smiles.

"I still can't sleep."

He checks his watch. "We have to be up in eight hours."

"Uh oh." I laugh. He does too.

"What if I sing to you?" He asks.

I look up at him, our eyes interlocking. "Really?"

"Yeah, sure." He smiles. "Anything for you, princess." He starts to him the first few notes of Fire, setting off butterflies in my stomach once again.

'Girl, oh baby girl, will you come back home to me?'

The dim hue of my fairy lights illuminates Jake's face, and his gentle voice fills the silence.

'For this darkest night won't ever let her be.'

I smile, as I watch him sing. His eyes are closed, and he's completely lost in his own voice.

'And sing fire, fire, fire."

The way his lips pronounce the words is enough to make me die, right there and then.

'Oh, I'll sing for you. My girl, baby blue.'

My eyes grow heavy, and I decide to rest them for a moment.

'Babe, oh babe. Will you love me so, when I have to go?'

His voice flows beautifully in the silence, each note making my heart flutter.

'For this darkest night won't ever let her speak.'

He's perfect. Every part of him.

'And sing fire, fire, fire.'

I'm so glad to have him. Every thing he does makes me eternally happy. He completes me.

'Oh my darling, you are blue,'

He's amazing. He's saved me. I love him, and he loves me.

'For me.'

And he's all mine.