83 - Mind Like A Battlefield

Start from the beginning

He gave her a skittish look, before turning his glance to the car as if he wondered if she would fit in it. Eventually he shrugged his shoulders, avoiding her glance and muttering: "Yeah... yeah that's cool too."

Jordy gave him a small smile. She felt a bit ashamed of her thoughts, but despite what had just happened to her, she felt something flutter in her stomach. 

She had never expected to call Emilio sweet, but he had never acted like this. Now, it was harder than ever to forget about him. 

Actually, Emilio had no idea what the hell he was doing when he pulled over the car on the drive-way and waited for Jordy to get out of the vehicle.

He should have dropped her at June's. But she had asked him specifically if she could stay with him... and it did something to him, especially after seeing her so upset. Putting the key in the hole, he prayed his mom was at work so he wouldn't have to listen to her stupid comments. He remembered all too well how she had responded a while back, when Jordy had picked him up for a date. 

As cheerful as she had been then, as silent was she now. 

Actually, he had never seen her so distressed. He caught himself on hating it; he really wanted to make her feel better but he had no idea how. When Juan was having a hard time, he simply gave him a joint and started some movie. He however had no idea what movies Jordy liked and he didn't want her to feel upset once there would be a sex scene in it. 

He'd heard a few things when the twins had harassed her. They had said something about her dad, he believed. Should he ask about it? But what if she started to cry again... he had no idea what he should do then. 

A little awkwardly he led her to the living room, stepping over his sister's toys that were scattered across the floor. 

"You umm – you want a drink or somethin'?"

"Yeah, okay," she answered quietly. 

Worried, he looked at her pale face. Her eyes were numb, missing their usual spark, and the corners of her mouth were hanging down. 

Feeling a pit in his stomach, he turned towards the kitchen and filled two glasses with juice; then he waved at the couch and sat down next to her. There was a tense silence, one he hadn't experienced often around her. 

Emilio was fidgeting with his nails wondering whether he should ask questions. Her breathing was heavy, her sadness still close to the surface. 

"What did you hear?" she asked after a while. 

His eyes flashed aside. She was staring into her glass, her shoulders slumped down in defeat. 

"Not much," he answered evasively. "Something about your Dad, I think." He hesitated; he had a hunch but he didn't dare to say it out loud. "But I'm not sure."

She sighed softly. "You wanna know?"

Emilio shrugged his shoulders. "You don't have to tell me... Whatever you want. But uh... if you do want to talk about it that's fine." He hesitated. "Although uh... Although I think it's more helpful to talk to June. Or – or Juan."

Or any other person he could think of. Apart from Juan, no one ever came to him when there was something on their mind. He liked it that way – he had no desire in knowing about  everyone's bullshit. But with Jordy, things were different. 

Whatever had happened to her, he knew for sure it wasn't posturing. 

She watched him from the side, but cast her glance down when their eyes met. She took a deep breath; she seemed close to saying something but kept silent in the end. Tears gathered in her eyes.