67 - Mateo's First Time

This is a bit of a bonus chapter, but I was in the mood to write a chapter about Mateo. (:

. . .

The Past

Mateo pressed a bill in the girl's hands and showed her the door. Returning to the living room, he dropped down on the couch and switched on the tv. Even before he could find an interesting channel, the door swung open. At first he thought the girl had forgotten something, but it turned out to be his mom. 

"You're now invitin' whores at broad daylight?" she snapped. 

"I invite whores whenever the hell I want," he answered indifferently. 

Not that the girl had been a hooker; he had hired a cleaner. Juan was getting stressed when their place was messy or filthy and now he had to go to school again, Mateo didn't want him to waste the few free hours he still had on cleaning and tidying up the place. Especially now he was home himself, he didn't want to leave it to his younger brother. He however hated to clean, so why not hiring some bitch to do it? 

His mom however didn't need to know the truth. It was more fun to let her believe that her house was turning into a brothel. It was a miracle that she'd came home in the first place, usually she simply turned around the moment she found him inside the house. 

"Can't you find a more useful purpose for your life than banging whores? What about finding a job, a home? It's time you get outta here. I don't even dare to invite someone over because of my insane son."

Mateo lifted the corner of his mouth. He lit a cigarette, just to annoy her. "Feelin' ashamed of your kid?"

"I do!" she snapped. "I should've had a fucking abortion!"

He smirked. "You mean your mama should've had a fucking abortion."

Contrary to his little brother, remarks like these didn't hurt him anymore. As long as he remembered, she told him that he was worthless and too stupid to do anything, and once he'd gone to high school her words had only became harsher. He didn't care. Her hatred had turned him into the person he was now; nobody could make him ever feel small, he always made the best of the situation he was in and he'd always stood up for himself. When Juan had grown older, also becoming a victim of her critics, he hadn't been able to deal with it like his brother did. Because of his OCD his mother's words kept racing through his head, attaching themselves to his brain, eating his confidence, and after a few panic attacks Mateo had tried to shift his mother's attention to himself. He had succeeded. He knew his mother hated him from the depths of her rotten soul and that she couldn't wait until he would disappear from her life for good, but something told him she wouldn't give up Juan that easily. 

Mateo blew a cloud of smoke in her direction. "Calm down Mom. I've done some surfing on the internet indeed; watched some apartments, found some vacancies."

Suspiciously she raised her eyebrows; she knew very well he wasn't trying to make her relax. 

"I'm gonna look at some apartments next weekend. Found a really nice one, a three room apartment with a large balcony, close to both June and E..."

"You tellin' me you want to take your brother with you?!"

"What else did you expect? You're never around and even when you are, you're always whinin'."