48 - Dates

Edited

THE PAST

Right before they went inside, Juan stopped and looked to June, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. June was so nervous her legs were almost shaking, which she was sure he had noticed.

"I'm sure they'll like you baby."

She dropped her eyes. "Your best friend hates me already..."

"My best friend just happens to be a dumb ass when it comes to girls," he answered, shrugging his shoulders. "When he called me this afternoon I told him a bit about what's going on with your family. How sick your mom is and that was why you're so quiet. Even without my help, he realized that he had been acting like a jerk. I doubt that he'll have the balls to apologize, but he does regret what he did."

June was a little overwhelmed and didn't know how to answer. She didn't want to hope that Emilio would change – he had said much worse things to her friends before and she was even a little afraid that he would now use her mother's health the next time he felt the need to lash out at her. However she didn't dare to share that thought with Juan, he couldn't change anything about it anyways, so she just nodded. "I guess it will all work out."

"Of course it will." He showed her a smile spreading warmness to the furthest corners of her body, and right at that moment she couldn't care less if they would like her or not – as long as he did.

His fingers laced with hers and he squeezed her hand before they headed inside.

June had never been in a bar before. The music was loud and there was a blur of cigarette smoke. Although there was a good chance that none of Juan's friends were twenty-one, there was already beer bottles scattered across the table top.

As the couple caught the attention of the boys they started to cheer and whistle, making everyone else look at them. With hot cheeks she peeked aside. Juan was still smiling, although there was a different look in his eyes now, as if he was proud.

He greeted his friends as they stood in front of the table and wrapped an arm around her waist. "This is June, my girl," he introduced her.

"That's one beautiful lady you got there, Juan," the boy who sat closest to them said, smirking and winking to June where after he held out his hand. "Armando."

When she wanted to shake his hand, he pressed a kiss to the back of it. She felt how Juan tensed, how he pulled her closer like he wanted to stress that she was taken.

To shake off the awkwardness, she shook hands with the others boys and Riley too. She recognized some of them as they had shared classes, but none of them had ever spoken a word to her. At last she found herself in front of Emilio. Shaking his hand felt weird, but she felt it would be odd if she skipped him.

Emilio seemed to feel it too, as he stood up and spread his arms. "C'mon Junie, by now we've reached the hug phase, right?"

She didn't dare to say that she rather wouldn't and she allowed his embrace in silence. That he was subtly pushing Juan to the side, didn't escape her attention.

"C'mon girl, a hug goes both ways. Wrap your arms around me," he whispered in her ear.

She wanted to push him away, but that would only raise questions from the others and Emilio knew that damn well. Unwillingly she closed her arms around him, briefly, then she struggled out of his embrace.

With a smirk Emilio turned towards Juan to give him a hug as well, but at the sight of his friend's dark look he furrowed his eyebrows. "Gonna play the possessive boyfriend now huh? It was just a hug – consider it as my peace offerin'." He gave her a wink and wrapped an arm around Juan's shoulder. "Don't be so jealous homes. We both know she wouldn't even fuck me if I was the last person on earth."