10 - Shame

Edited

THE PAST

Juan was shocked by the words Beth had snarled at him. "I already lost my sister because of an Ortiz. I won't let you take away my friend too."

He hadn't been imagining the hate he felt coming at him whenever she was around. She really despised him; and now he started to wonder if Beth was the real reason June kept her distance. The skittish way she was always looking at him though, her cheeks turning red as soon as he caught her eye... he hadn't imagined those things. He had seen how she had touched for her cheek, right after he had caressed her skin on the exact same spot. She had frozen when he touched her, but she hadn't given him the impression that she was disgusted by it. It seemed to be disbelief, as if she couldn't believe that he had touched her in such a tender way.

Or maybe you're just telling yourself lies. Maybe you should just face your loss and turn your attention to other chicks. There are plenty of 'em.

It felt like he was hearing Mateo's voice – but those weren't words he had spoken. His brother had told him to fuck her if that was what he wanted, but the thought alone made his guts clench. Mateo could talk about his flings however he wanted, but June deserved more respect than that. He would never force her into anything; he would wait until he was positive that she wanted it too.

At least, that was what he was hoping. Just a few minutes ago he had reached out and touched her before he was even aware of it.

"You need to learn to keep your filthy hands off."

As Juan left the school, Beth's words kept racing through his mind. What again had happened to her sister? She had committed suicide, right? But what had his brother had to do with it? What did Beth – and apparently also June – think his brother had to do with it?

Contemplating he walked to the smoking area, where Emilio was already waiting for him. His friend's wide grin silenced the thoughts about his brother.

"Well, am I an awesome wingman or what?"

"You're an insensitive dick." Juan shook his head as anger crept up again. Because of the conversation that had followed, he had forgotten how Emilio had embarrassed him. "Asking her if she is a virgin? That I need to know it so I can make sure she feels relaxed? Oh, and you even told her how I wanna do her? It's a fucking miracle she didn't slap me in the face."

Emilio snorted. "She doesn't even dare to slap a fly away! There's no fire in that girl man. Why do you want her so bad? I don't get it."

Juan felt his cheeks glow. In his mind, everyone should want to be with June, but it was clear that Emilio thought otherwise. He should be happy about that, it meant at least one less competitor for her heart. Still, it bruised his ego. He wanted to feel proud if there would ever be a day that he could call June his girlfriend.

"I just want something different than all those noisy sluts. I'd rather have a sweet girl that doesn't turn into a drama queen every other day."

Emilio chuckled. "It's all right, homes." Smirking, he laid an arm around Juan's shoulder and blew a cloud of smoke in his face. "You really are a little in love, huh?" He rushed into laughing. "But for real — I'm standing here for over ten minutes by lonesome. So my insensitive dick-move got you something, right?"

Juan turned his head away from the smoke so he could breathe and looked back at his friend. He had a point, despite how stupid Emilio's remarks might have been; it had at least led to a second conversation. Not that it had gone smoothly, but she had at least told him she didn't think he was a dick. So it could have been worse.